Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After readig posts about various installation charges for this CAI, i decided to call my normal dealer for a quote. The gentleman said he didn't know the price off the top of his head but would call me back.

He called back and said he didn't want me to think he forgot about me, but that he couldn't find a price anywhere for the 2008 or 2009...even on the toyota website. He asked if I'd ever heard of anyone getting one installed in their service department, and i said i knew of people who had had them installed at Toyota Scion Dealers. Apparently...Jim Hudson Toyota in Columbia doesn't.

He said there was a price for the 2010 and even the 2011 CAIs. I asked if they were different from the 2008, and he said he couldn't be sure enough to give me the '10s quote...what the heck guys!

I guess this helps me make the decision to get it installed at my local mehanic?

· Registered
741 Posts
I had mine installed at a Toyota Dealer. The big reason I had them do the install was I had purchased it about a month and a half before. If dealer installed the warranty goes from date of install. If installed by someone other than a dealer it goes from date of purchase. If there was no difference in the warranty I would have done it myself when the weather warmed up. Check other dealers in your area as I found a large difference for installation cost.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot. I'm gonna get a quote from my local mechanic...cause i trust him, and hes about 2 minutes from my house...unlike another scion dealership which is 45 min+.

I just bought it from Sparks saturday? and got it in tuesday...for the cheapest shipping they offered!

· Registered
741 Posts
You're gonna love it.

· Registered
93 Posts
I had mine installed at the dealership, but I had couple other things install at the same time. I think they charged around $200 = about 2 hours. If the dealership had done it before, they will know what to do and quicker. If they have never install it before, it might take a bit longer. You know those dealership, even the job only take 5 mins to do, they would charge you as an hour job.

But the TRD CAI is cool, I love it and you will too. :)

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After my local mechanic told me "drop it off on tuesday, it may be a few days till we get to it"....my father and I decided we'd install my CAI ourselves.

It took about 3 hours in the 40 degree weather for 2 guys w/ little experience. We destroyed a few plastic buttons that held the fender liner onto the wheel well..i imagine they were brittle due to the cold. I picked up a replacement box ($5 for 15) at Autozone after the install.

Here's a picture of the stock airbox after we took the top off:

Little acorn bits and mice droppings! Apparently, mice had been crawling up through a loop-de-loop of air tubes to get into my airbox and nest. After totally removing the airbox we found many more acorn shells underneath as well. You guys might want to open yours up and peek inside, perhaps even grill off the opening of your intake tube.

The new CAI airbox brings in air, not through a pipe, but through a giant opening in the top of the box...I am PRAYING mice don't crawl into this new home to nest...and find themselves unable to crawl out!

I do not want dead mice in my nice new cold air intake.

Anywho, the intake is great. It gives a decent sound when you hit the gas....and I certainly feel a quicker acceleration. (hopefully thats not placebo)

joe

· Registered
782 Posts
joemader said:
thanks a lot. I'm gonna get a quote from my local mechanic...cause i trust him, and hes about 2 minutes from my house...unlike another scion dealership which is 45 min+.

I just bought it from Sparks saturday? and got it in tuesday...for the cheapest shipping they offered!
TRDsparks provides downloadable PDF instructions for installation, so you could save the bucks and install it yourself -- course, that depends on your comfort level and tool availability.

· Registered
601 Posts
Here's a picture of the stock airbox after we took the top off:

Little acorn bits and mice droppings! Apparently, mice had been crawling up through a loop-de-loop of air tubes to get into my airbox and nest.
Holy moly... I just randomly found this and wanted to say the acorn bits and mice droppings find is crazy. I wonder if some mice went for a wild ride.

· Registered
149 Posts
It's awesome you did it yourself! I barely saw the post or I would've said a long time ago to just do it yourself. It's not all that difficult and saves you a TON of money. Average cost for a mechanic here is about $40 an hour, it took me (pretty experienced) about an hour to have everything out, in and buttoned up. So I saved $40, killed the afternoon boredom, and have bragging rights that I did it myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.