Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
979 Posts
There are huge discussions and disagreements about that on the forum. Do a search to find and read them.

In short though...
Yes, changing the intake will make it easier for the engine to breathe.

As for more HP that is up for debate. An actual COLD air intake that brings in cooler, denser air could provide more power. Having said that, if the fuel/air ratio changes, the ECU should change the way the engine runs to adapt to the change. In theory that would lessen the benefits. Like I said though, there is much debate about CAI's (on any car not just an xB).

That's what I picked up from researching it for a while. I didn't get one because I didn't want it to be louder. (...and the hydro-lock issue which is a whole 'nother topic)

· Registered
845 Posts
FYI. The stock air box while cruising at 55mph with an ambient temp of 70degrees F, will show an intake temp of 77. While in stop and go traffic, intake temps will get to 120. It seems heat soak is more of a problem, as while moving the temps are close to ambient. Water meth injection would be of more benefit I think.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
206 Posts
Isn't the TRD Cai system more of a Sri then Cai like the k&n?

I want the k&n typhoon but can't get it now ($) so maybe I'll get the drop in k&n for now, I wonder if the filter swap actually makes a slight difference?

· Registered
64 Posts
Isn't the TRD Cai system more of a Sri then Cai like the k&n?

I want the k&n typhoon but can't get it now ($) so maybe I'll get the drop in k&n for now, I wonder if the filter swap actually makes a slight difference?
I have the drop in and dont feel any difference, not even in sound. ill get the typhoon soon.

· Registered
206 Posts
I have the drop in and dont feel any difference, not even in sound. ill get the typhoon soon.
Thanks for the tip. I thought some claimed an mpg and even sound boost (both slightly) in some filter swaps. Guess it's better to save money toward a Sri instead. Thanks.

· Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I thought some claimed an mpg and even sound boost (both slightly) in some filter swaps. Guess it's better to save money toward a Sri instead. Thanks.

Dont get me wrong, its still better than the stock unit, just dont expect to feel it. Its nice to just clean and reinstall rather than buy a new one.. At first i thought i heard and felt a difference then i reallized i did not put it back together correctly,. there was a gap at the back making it sound pretty cool, you have to make sure the airbox closes all the way around,. after i fixed it, it sounded like stock again..(

· Registered
601 Posts
I haven't posted here yet, but now that I've had the TRD CAI in for longer, 1.5 months now (I had it installed right about the time this thread started), I can say I really like it. This is the newer TRD CAI, on my 2012. Especially with the different temps outside, my car seems faster, and there is definitely a new growl on acceleration. I think there's a little more jump on pedal press, and a little more giddyup in longer acceleration like on-ramps. It isn't big in both cases, but just noticeable. Plus, the thing looks **** good in there. For gas mileage, so far so good. I might be seeing a slight improvement.
@zinger - for the sound - it's not much louder actually so definitely don't be concerned about that. @NYxB - yes it's more like a short ram. It's basically a bigger pipe to the engine, a bigger airbox with a higher flow reusable filter, and then a bigger intake pipe that sticks down a bit and doesn't 'S'. It's kind of like a short ram on the end of an improved airbox. I like this design, though it's not as pure as a CAI that is a long pipe with a cone filter on the end.

Yes it's overly expensive compared to other ones, probably for the trouble they went to for the looks and it's Toyota of course. But the reason I got it, and had it installed by dealer was because of warranty, and this is the front-end of the engine. If you have warranty concerns, or emissions concerns, then you might want to consider paying more for the TRD CAI.

I took some pics of the CAI before install and after, so I think I'll put up a post about it later.

· Registered
206 Posts
I haven't posted here yet, but now that I've had the TRD CAI in for longer, 1.5 months now (I had it installed right about the time this thread started), I can say I really like it. This is the newer TRD CAI, on my 2012. Especially with the different temps outside, my car seems faster, and there is definitely a new growl on acceleration. I think there's a little more jump on pedal press, and a little more giddyup in longer acceleration like on-ramps. It isn't big in both cases, but just noticeable. Plus, the thing looks **** good in there. For gas mileage, so far so good. I might be seeing a slight improvement.
@zinger - for the sound - it's not much louder actually so definitely don't be concerned about that. @NYxB - yes it's more like a short ram. It's basically a bigger pipe to the engine, a bigger airbox with a higher flow reusable filter, and then a bigger intake pipe that sticks down a bit and doesn't 'S'. It's kind of like a short ram on the end of an improved airbox. I like this design, though it's not as pure as a CAI that is a long pipe with a cone filter on the end.

Yes it's overly expensive compared to other ones, probably for the trouble they went to for the looks and it's Toyota of course. But the reason I got it, and had it installed by dealer was because of warranty, and this is the front-end of the engine. If you have warranty concerns, or emissions concerns, then you might want to consider paying more for the TRD CAI.

I took some pics of the CAI before install and after, so I think I'll put up a post about it later.
Thanks lots of info. I'm in NY if you don't mind me asking was it crazy expensive to have it done at the dealer?

I like my Borla exhaust I wonder how the TRD Cai would be with it.

So it's not a cone type filter but a bigger higher flow type filter? The xB does sound nice with intakes let me know if you post a video.

Enjoy the new mod!

· Registered
206 Posts
Check out the TRD cai installation instruction here. It looks like a fairly simply diy. Even if you install it yourself, the parts are still under warranty from Toyota (and won't impact your xB's warrant).
Awesome thanks. Aftermarket can't affect the factory warranty overall except the particular part changed I'm assuming. So getting a TRD will still be covered over not getting it I guess. Wonder if anyone actually knows who is the manufacturer of the TRD intake.

· Registered
601 Posts
Thanks lots of info. I'm in NY if you don't mind me asking was it crazy expensive to have it done at the dealer?

I like my Borla exhaust I wonder how the TRD Cai would be with it.

So it's not a cone type filter but a bigger higher flow type filter? The xB does sound nice with intakes let me know if you post a video.

Enjoy the new mod!
Thanks! Well from the way it sounds, I think it would be pretty awesome with a new exhaust. It's funny you say that because I was paying attention to the sound yesterday after my post and thought that exact thing - wow that sounds good, and would probably rock with a different exhaust. It's still fairly quiet so could definitely stand to be a little louder, and I'm not even one to like loud stuff normally. I will try to listen for a air-sucking sound, which I haven't heard yet and I do hear in other CAIs. This design might not give the sucking sound, with the big inlet, air box, etc.

Maybe not crazy expensive, but expensive. They charged me for just one hour, and it was $130 I think. I'm surprised if that is actually what they charge by hour so maybe it was jacked up a little since it was just 1 hour and maybe since I didn't buy the part from them. Their regular service prices are actually reasonable. Not sure, but it wasn't so much that it was out of the range of what I was expecting from a dealer.

Check out the TRD cai installation instruction here. It looks like a fairly simply diy. Even if you install it yourself, the parts are still under warranty from Toyota (and won't impact your xB's warrant).
Good link. I have looked at that a bunch of times. It also came with my CAI and I left it in the box for the dealer to see :) I agree with your warranty statement, but with caveats. In hypothetical terms, improper self-installation can cause problems (right?), and manufacturers will not cover that if they can show improper installation. If self-installed, they could give you a hard time if something happens. And if you get hydrolock or something, fixing the CAI will be low on the list of priorities. I doubt the CAI parts would have any kind of failure anyway considering it is all non-moving parts (maybe brittle rubber in 15 years?) so I didn't really consider warranty of the CAI itself in my decision.

Of course I'm being overly cautious, and paid a lot for it, so it's up to you. I really considered installing it myself, and probably would for other similar things that I thought I could do without much risk.

Here is an FTC link that describes the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance
However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.