Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a JDM exhaust on ebay that looks strikingly similar to the TRD exhaust that toyota sells...
Its listed for $129.00 which is way cheaper than the $489.00 TRD exhaust...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Scion-xB-08-Muffler-Exhaust-Axle-Back-Bolt-FLAT-Tip_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQihZ019QQitemZ290220653731QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

My question is... Are there any major differences between the two? i.e. Sound, Performance, HP gain, Etc??? If anyone has either exhaust or knows about them, please share some info!

Much love to my xB fam
Joey G-xB
JDM
TRD

·
Registered
22 Posts
JOEY G-xB said:
My question is... Are there any major differences between the two? i.e. Sound, Performance, HP gain, Etc??? If anyone has either exhaust or knows about them, please share some info!
This is the first I've seen of that clone/knock off and I don't have any personal experience with it, but from the pictures the welds on the JDM tip and bracket aren't of the same quality as what I've seen on the TRD's. Does that matter? You probably won't know for a couple of years. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree but even with the looks the TRD one looks 100x's better. Also do you get a warranty with the exhaust on eBay?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lets all get something straite hear folks TRD doesnt make anything for the american market they find a good product and put TRD on it.TRD exhast is borla TRD intake is AEM i dont know who makes the shocks and springs but i doubt it is toyota.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
donkill said:
Lets all get something straite hear folks TRD doesnt make anything for the american market they find a good product and put TRD on it.TRD exhast is borla TRD intake is AEM i dont know who makes the shocks and springs but i doubt it is toyota.
very interesting...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Different between TRD (Borla) and the eBay JDM one is basically the packing material inside the muffler. Most eBay mufflers are made in China and packed with very little material therefore it should be significantly louder. Also with ebay mufflers, over time, the packing material ie cotton and what not in the muffler will fly out your exhaust, so you end up with a near empty cannister. Ive sold both quality systems and cheap knockoffs, Im not saying the cheaper stuff is bad its just that not much time and quality went into making it so over time, it does get much louder. There isnt many real JDM systems available for the xB yet, but I would definitely look for units from Greddy, Blitz, and Tanabe in the very near future.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ScionScene said:
Different between TRD (Borla) and the eBay JDM one is basically the packing material inside the muffler. Most eBay mufflers are made in China and packed with very little material therefore it should be significantly louder. Also with ebay mufflers, over time, the packing material ie cotton and what not in the muffler will fly out your exhaust, so you end up with a near empty cannister. Ive sold both quality systems and cheap knockoffs, Im not saying the cheaper stuff is bad its just that not much time and quality went into making it so over time, it does get much louder. There isnt many real JDM systems available for the xB yet, but I would definitely look for units from Greddy, Blitz, and Tanabe in the very near future.
thanks for the advice...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the TRD exhaust and am pretty happy with it... As soon as I get over 3200 rpm, it starts to pull and sound great. However, I recently saw a dual exhaust option on automotiveconcepts.net for the '08 xb that looks intriguing. Anyone know anything about it?

·
Registered
204 Posts
goterps007 said:
I have the TRD exhaust and am pretty happy with it... As soon as I get over 3200 rpm, it starts to pull and sound great. However, I recently saw a dual exhaust option on automotiveconcepts.net for the '08 xb that looks intriguing. Anyone know anything about it?
you have a link to that? I went on that site and I cant find the dual exhaust?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I don't know about the one your talking about but I have a Borla Dual exhaust that I got from sparksTRD. I love it. I really gotta take some updated photos of my ride.

·
Registered
66 Posts
donkill said:
While this may be true to a certain point it doesn't mean that Toyota/TRD was not involved in the design and manufacturing of the product. I deal daily with TRD engineers so I know a lot more is involved than Toyota/TRD just going to AEM to buy an intake and slap a TRD sticker on it. ;) Same goes for all the other car manufacturers, if we didn't get parts made for cars by the people that know what they are doing (AEM, Hotchkis, Borla, etc...) then how would we be giving our customers high quality products?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Trd sparks is right i did not mean that toyota didnt demand that the parts meet certain standards or that they didnt test those parts to ensure that they meet there standards for quality but people are buying these parts thinking that they were designed and produced by toyota so that they are getting JDM parts when there are no such things for the american market currently sold by toyota dealerships.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
donkill said:
Support?
(Sources-> just want the claim to be substantiated, rather than just hearsay.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts