Scion XB Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Couple things to think about. In a perfect world a short ram is better then a cold air because there is less pipeing for the air to flow through. Less travel time and less turbulance. However the cold air is exactly what it says. It sucks in cold air. However the K&N actually has a compltete sheild around it to cut the hot air down.

Something else to remember as well. Those hp increases are peak hp. Meaning the highest increase across the board. These intakes don't make 9hp or 6hp more across the whole power range. You really need to look at dyno sheets to see where you increase's are and where they aren't . Depending on how you drive will decided which one is best for you. Of course most people just look at overall hp increase. I have actually seen intakes that increase horse power on the low end but actually have less horse power on the high end.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I am not sure how accurate my statement but I called and asked the Toyota TRD tech line. They told me their TRD cold Air Intake has some issue with California state emission laws. All others states are fine, except California. That is why i go with Fujita.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The TRD Cold Air for the new xB is legal in all 50 states, there are no problems with California emissions. This is the one that I am getting because its also the only "ram" air type injection system so the faster your moving the more HP your producing. I can't wait to get it on.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
TRDSPARKS said:
The TRD Cold Air for the new xB is legal in all 50 states, there are no problems with California emissions. This is the one that I am getting because its also the only "ram" air type injection system so the faster your moving the more HP your producing. I can't wait to get it on.
Which?
TRD?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Why I ask:
TRDSPARKS said:
I think he means the TRD. I just wanted clarification that he didn't leave anything out and does mean the TRD Cold air also has a ram-effect.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm thinking about installing the TRD CAI but as I live in SW Florida I'm concerned with the possibility of hydro locking the engine as the result of high water and the location of the intake vent. Does anyone know if the TRD CAI is designed to prevent sucking in water?

Brewski
08 xB

·
Registered
110 Posts
shouldn't you not worry about hydrolock unless you're driving through pools of water? on the lexus and mazda forums i used to post on, everyone said hydrolock is over-exaggerated and that it rarely happens except when driving through high pools of water or a flooded street cuz the filter alone is going to prevent most the water from even getting inside the filter, and then that water has to travel all the way up the pipe. i dont think there's enough suction to suck in enough water to cause hydrolock during even a heavy rainstorm. just dont drive it through like 7" of standing water.

from wiki:

Hydro lock is relatively common when driving through floods, either where the water is above the level of the air intake or the vehicle's speed is excessive, creating a tall bow wave.

·
Registered
474 Posts
wiki...

Thanks for the input to my decision....7" of water during the rainy season here in SW Florida is not uncommon...nor is driving in 7 or more inches of water...

Perhaps I just need to stay with the K&N filter currently installed...or maybe some form of short intake...decisions, decisions...

Brewski
08 xB

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.