Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum, but to keep it short my question is regarding the different TRD intakes. I just bought a 2012 model and before I purchase the intake which one is the newest version? Is is the silver or the black/orange one? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I guess that this is the silver one you're talking about

and this one being the orange/black,

I would say that on the 2011-2012 xB the only one that will fit directly from the factory is the second one.

That being said, I invite you to introduce yourself to the community in the designated forum :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
If I'm not mistaken you will be paying a little extra just for having your intake with the TRD stamp on it. Do some more research on your options, if you still want the TRD then go for it. TRD is a good product line, just pay a little more for the name.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The first photo shows the earlier 2008-2010 CAI -- it has the advantage of being specifically designed for the earlier models. The second photo is perfectly legit but doesn't capitalize on the front fascia inlet. My guess is the earlier version is superior in performance, but the second is definitely not bad -- way better than OE. Guess it depends on what you're really trying to achieve!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The second photo is perfectly legit but doesn't capitalize on the front fascia inlet.

I have to agree with TrevorS. Looking at the instructions from the Sparks Scion page, the new orange/black style:
  • replaces the OEM inlet tube with a shorter one
  • uses a new TRD air filter
  • uses a metal tube after the filter box
  • (re)uses the lower half of the OEM filter box
Since they reuse the lower half of the OEM filter box, the new filter cannot be any bigger in footprint than OEM but only less restictive. Maybe you can use a TRD filter in a stock OEM filter box?

Also, why they don't include a new slotted fascia vent to actually get cold air to the new CAI inlet is beyond me.

Of course, you can always cut your own slots in your OEM fascia vent. That's what I did...

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have to agree with TrevorS. Looking at the instructions from the Sparks Scion page, the new orange/black style:
  • replaces the OEM inlet tube with a shorter one
  • uses a new TRD air filter
  • uses a metal tube after the filter box
  • (re)uses the lower half of the OEM filter box
Since they reuse the lower half of the OEM filter box, the new filter cannot be any bigger in footprint than OEM but only less restictive. Maybe you can use a TRD filter in a stock OEM filter box?

Also, why they don't include a new slotted fascia vent to actually get cold air to the new CAI inlet is beyond me.

Of course, you can always cut your own slots in your OEM fascia vent. That's what I did...
I use a TRD filter in my stock lower air box, a 3" intake pipe, the TRD fascia vent, and a 3" TB pipe. Works great, but as you can imagine, required a little effort :)!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.