Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my DD's have had DRL's until I bought the XB 1 week ago. I knew that going into it & will not drive w/out burning the bulbs during the day:D

I thought about going w/ the Rostra LED's but at $350.00 or so, I kept looking until I came across a great product made by Philips:
Philips 12820WLEDX1 DayLight 4 High Powered Luxeon LED Daytime Running Light
The install is very close to plug & play. The pics dont do it justice, but they are bright white.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Looks nice!

I just put the Oznium vertical vent lights in my xB a few weeks ago and hooked them up as DRL's.

When I was doing a search for DRL's I found these. I'm not sure what I would do with them, but they seem crazy inexpensive. I may get a set to put on my tractor for clearing snow in the winter. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^Post up some pics. Curious how you mounted them

Joe

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd love to see some info on how you wired them up. I would love love love to wire up my factory fogs as daytime running lights.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The install instructions are attached:book:. Its pretty much a plug & play system. The Phillips module shuts the DRL's down when the headlights are turned on

Joe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
that's pretty neat bro, i am looking at something like this because i have a 2012 rukus, which is the same bar as your xb.. but i would mount this on the vertical side vents, do they mount flush?.. i basically want to get the same outcome as the oznium vertical leds they made for the old bar, might have to get some measurements and have a look

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^The cut-out dimensions are this: 120mm x 23.5mm. As far as mounting it flush, I think that can be done as long as you mount the steel mounting brackets properly.

Here's a link to the full PDF installation download. Its a large file due to all the different languages.

http://daylight-led.com/daylight/led_daylight_4_installation_guide.pdf

Joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
that's pretty neat bro, i am looking at something like this because i have a 2012 rukus, which is the same bar as your xb.. but i would mount this on the vertical side vents, do they mount flush?.. i basically want to get the same outcome as the oznium vertical leds they made for the old bar, might have to get some measurements and have a look

I was thinking the same thing, these guys list Australian suppliers, and measurements are on the website :) (as well as 5 & 8 LED units)
DRL DayLight 4

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, Been on the DRL's now for 3 weeks. Very pleased w/the output. Super bright white. Almost on par w/the BMW's & Mercedes DRLs LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^ No, There is a module that shuts them down when you turn on the head lights.
They would certainly help illuminate at night but thats what secondary driving lights do

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^You are right. Just read up on them. Started thinking, darn, should have bought the 8 vs 4 :p (Double the price approx $180.00 vs $95.00)

The 8's stay on all the time & are auto dimmed when the headlights are turned on.

Strong product reviews from those that have mounted them

Joe

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the 8's will fit just like the 4's except wider.

Not sure if you know, but I had to trim one of the horizontal ledges off of the grill.
You will have to do the same & probably remove 1 vertical support as well. You wont be able to tell once you mount them IMO

Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
DRL's on our 2012 Crimson Mica

Just a quick note - put the Philips 4 bulb LED DRL on today - they look and work great. Used 3M red tape to install in the upper-outer portion of the lowere grill. They slide right in with the tape on if you apply a bit of wetting solution (tiny bit of dish soap & water). A few mins with the hair dryer to warm the grill slats to accept the lights - and again after install to seal/dry out the wetting solution on the tape. Used straight edge to insure they align straight ahead for brightest effect on the road. Follow instructions - wire tie the bundles of wire neatly - more 3M tape to attach the black box to inside body work near fuse box (driver's fender)
Used soft wire to "fish" the leads up behind driver's side below headlight (shine flashlight through grill while looking down inside, below headlight, and you'll see where to start your fisihing. Used bent wire to pull fishing wire thru grill, tape it to you lead and ease it back up into engine compartment) You can black wire tie the off-side lead (also black color) across / inside grill to driver's side - and it all pretty much disappears.

Important points:
1) warm the grill slats to ease tape/and/light fixture into place (hair dryer)
2) use wetting stuff on the 3M tape
3) AIM THEM straight ahead before the wetting solution dries (lay a ruler across the front of light - look down and make it align by eyeballing with license plate)
4) take a Taco break as needed
5) use SOFT wire when fishing down in there - so you don't pull apart something important or hole your radiator, etc. Be gentle - the light wire WILL come up through there
6) tie wires away from sharp edges which will eventually cut/short the whole deal.
7) the parking light wire needed for the instant splice gizmo is green in my 2012 xB

These DRL's can be wired to run at all times engine is on - or (better/neater) come on when engine is on - but turn off when lights turned on. They "auto" do everything once installed -just like real factory DRL's.
300 miles on this xB. Next is > charcoal metallic pinstripe (3M), 10" char. met. "xB" side graphics, and white "SCION" lettering. Maybe a small "TOASTER" graphic somewhere. Roof spoiler (factory) maybe this spring.
Will get my teenager to show me how to operate the bleedin radio~!
Love the car~!- Wish it was shaped like son's silver 1st gen. xB and got his 36 MPG~!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey congrats & thanks for adding to the thread

I originally mounted them just like yours, directly into the un-modded grill.

I ended up using a blade & removed the lower grill slat for a no bulge fit. Screwed the mounting bracket underneath to the upper grill.

All in all, nice write up.:cheers:

Ive been running mine for 6 months & its the only way to roll during the day

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^Those are the ticket for sure. Direct fit into the bumper vents

Go for it & post up:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts