Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for a better place to ground my amp, and I was under the xB today. Directly beneath the spare tire, there appears to be some kind of apparatus, and I wasn't sure at all what it was. I'm trying to eliminate some alternator whine, and I think it might be from grounding issues. I'm wondering if there might be some noise coming from whatever is under the spare tire (since my ground is located very near there at the moment.

Does anybody know what is under there?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Under the back seat there is a metal frame that is a good place for grounding as well. Just make sure you take some paint off when grounding anywhere there is some

·
Registered
152 Posts
As an old Audio Intsaller, I always went back to the battery with the same Gauge wire or larger for my ground for audio systems. It eliminates most sources of Noise, as there can be fewer connection points to get the different ground potentials that cause the ground loop issues (The noise). if all wiring starts and ends at the source, it cuts down the possibilities immensely.

·
Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
747 Posts
As an old Audio Intsaller, I always went back to the battery with the same Gauge wire or larger for my ground for audio systems. It eliminates most sources of Noise, as there can be fewer connection points to get the different ground potentials that cause the ground loop issues (The noise). if all wiring starts and ends at the source, it cuts down the possibilities immensely.
As an 18 year installer and Technical Support Technician, I would never do this above.

Grounds are to be short as possible and matching in gauge of power wire. Making your own ground works, but backup by removing paint to bare metal with a minimum of 2 screws and lock washers that cut into metal; I use 3 screws, 1 for ring terminal and 2 others to prevent it from coming loose.

Seat belts and seat bolts are only good if you A) measure for solid ground and B) if they are below all carpets and insulation. I did my 2 additional batteries in my Gen 2 to the frame in the back of my car where they are mounted and soldered the wires to the distro blocks for best connection.

·
Registered
596 Posts
i have always bolted my 4 gauge ground wire to the rear seat bolt on both 1gen and 2gen and never have i had an issue with any engine noise. Many people will have there own opinion on where to ground the wire, but like SCOTTRODS said "if it works,go with it"

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've always used the closest ground method. Same gauge ground wire as power wire and within 18" of source. Always avoid welded areas and get down to bare metal. Also look for where Scion ground points terminate, usually multiple wires to a single bolt. This is a good ground area. Distribution blocks help when powering/grounding multiple devices. I've never had any issues with engine sound, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.