Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from another road trip. While travelling up I-77 in Western North Carolina I pulled up behind some slower moving traffic. Tapped the brakes to kill the cruise control. No response. Stepped harder on the brake pedal and it was like stomping on a rock. Adrenelin surge. Punched the cruise control button, shifted into neutral (stick shift) and coasted to the shoulder. Could not downshift to 4th gear (grinding). Everything returned to normal and this did not re-occur on the rest of the trip. There was no unintended accelleration, but the brakes very definitely did not respond.

My guess is it was a CC issue, not a brake problem. Will have the dealer check into it when I take the xB in for an oil change next week, but there's little they can do if it's not an active problem. Has anybody else experienced/heard of this?

· Registered
477 Posts
Maybe your throttle body is dirty allowing the butterfly plate to stick open. The cruise might have disengaged when you hit the brakes, but the butterfly was stuck. The grinding when trying to downshift into forth gear might have been because the vehicles speed was too high to downshift, not allowing the transmissions syncro's to get everything meshed together. I know it's only one gear down, but things happen.

I doubt that the dealer will be able to identify the problem without some codes thrown.

Haven't had that experience with my xB, had it on a trip yesterday and used the cruise all day long.

Let us know what the dealer says.

· Registered
782 Posts
Maybe your throttle body is dirty allowing the butterfly plate to stick open. The cruise might have disengaged when you hit the brakes, but the butterfly was stuck. The grinding when trying to downshift into forth gear might have been because the vehicles speed was too high to downshift, not allowing the transmissions syncro's to get everything meshed together. I know it's only one gear down, but things happen.

I doubt that the dealer will be able to identify the problem without some codes thrown.

Haven't had that experience with my xB, had it on a trip yesterday and used the cruise all day long.

Let us know what the dealer says.
Guess I'm a little late to this party, but just want to point out that regardless of the throttle position, normal brake operation will overcome all. The engine on any Toyota (pretty much any car for that matter) is totally unable to overcome the service brakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.