Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
448 Posts
Depends on your mechanical ability. The best and first thing you should do is get a rear sway bar. You can do this yourself easily with a wrench. If you're capable, get the hotchkis front and rear sway bar instead (tire rack has been selling the kit pretty cheap).

The next stop would be slight lowering; Tababe NF210 springs don't lower a ton but make a really big difference. Installing the rears is super easy, but installing the front really depends on your mechanical ability. Don't forget you will need an alignment after doing it.

From there, it really depends on your budget and goals. Noting will have as big an impact as those two items in terms of handling and cornering.

· Registered
979 Posts
Agreed. I have the TRD rear sway bar which made a huge difference. The Hotchkiss front and rear bars will tighten it up even more. I also have the TRD springs which have a similar drop to the NF210's. It's a nice combination.

There is some difference of opinion about the TRD strut bar making a difference. You can search for threads here to read both sides.

Don't forget tires and/or wheels. Summer sport tires will stick to the road much better around those twisties. Larger rims will give you shorter, stiffer sidewalls to reduce roll, but at the price of a rougher ride. I went to 17's as a compromise and am happy.

Have fun!

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Agree with the previous posts, sway bar(s) and springs.

I have NF210s and the TRD rear sway bar and they made a huge difference. However I think the TRD springs and Hotchkiss front and rear sway bars would be your best bet. And like Zinger says, summer tires will help a lot. Go with bigger wheels (17" or 18") to get those stiffer sidewalls.

Needless to say, all of the above mods will degrade your ride quality. That said, it will still be liveable.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, but some more...

Thanks for all the input guys! I was definitely thinking about the TRD accessories (possibly install them through the dealer) seeing as that they do not void the warranty. Would you reccomend that?

· Registered
457 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined I wouldn't bother having the dealer install the parts. It doesn't void your warranty if you put them on. It can only void warranty on a specific part if they can prove that what was done caused the part to fail.

I second the mods listed above, I do prefer the Hotchkiss full sway bar set over the TRD rear only, but it is a more involved install. I would also look at the TB Performance under body chassis braces. I've run them for a few years now and love the stiffness they add to the bottom of the car.

· Registered
448 Posts
I bought the 17" xB wheels on eBay, otherwise I would have gone with the TC2 18's. These aren't my pics, but I think they look **** good:

Craigslist in my area had a set with good tires for $400 a couple weeks ago (one wheel had a little rash but not bad)

· Registered
979 Posts
I bought my rims used with Yokohama S-Drives. They handled well, but had a lot of road noise. They lasted several summers and I replaced them last year with Bridgestone Potenzas. I love those so far. In fact I'm putting them back on the xB today.

If you live where it snows, I can't emphasize enough how much better dedicated snow tires are than all-season radials. I've been using Blizzaks since my stock all-season tires finally needed to be replaced. Night and day difference on snow and ice.

FWIW I've read rave reviews of Michelin Pilot Sport tires on the Mini Cooper forums.

As for wheels, I too like the Tc2 wheels. Get what you like though (lighter weight is better).

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Supercharger

Cool. Love all these ideas.
I was also investgating the TRD supercharger. I am under the impression it adds about 40 BHP. however, i also noticed some people have blown their engines. are the superchargers prone to ruin engines?

· Registered
448 Posts
There is plenty of information available online about the TRD supercharger, but in short, it's junk. It was poorly designed, poorly executed, and is a bad idea. I can elaborate if needed, but don't even think about it.

If you want forced induction, there are currently two options:

1. Buy one of the few reputable turbo kits (expect to spend $4000+)
2. Build something custom. Myself and at least one other person are working on supercharger builds right now, but to my knowledge, everything custom this far has been turbo.

I will definitely advise against any bolt on horsepower modifications; they just don't do enough to matter on this car, so your best options are all around suspension (unless you want to go turbo/supercharged).

· Registered
183 Posts
My '10 handled like a dream, I loved driving it around twisting mountain roads where I use to live.

I had:
Tein H-Tech Springs
TRD strut/shocks
Tanabe Strut Bar
Hotchkis front and rear sway bar
17x8 wheels with meaty 235 tires
Then frs seats to keep my butt planted lol.

In my opinion, don't do forced induction. These are incredibly fun and reliable cars, and you don't need the heartache or the premium gas.

I had injen cai with tsudo dual exhaust that sounded fantastic.
If I kept the car, I would've added a header and s pipe.
Personally I think thats enough pep for these great boxy cars, and tons of fun.

Hadn't been on here since I sold my xb2, now modding the crap out of my TX Baja.

Once I buy a house next year I want to get a scion as my second car, don't know what model yet but I have a strong love for the xb2's and my heart aches a little whenever I see one (but i freaking love my tacoma) ha.

Good luck with your ride, happy modding, and most of all have fun!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.