Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ultimately going for something more offroad-type inspired instead of something race inspired. Here is my current setup:

Just an Inno Rack and Fairing on top of my 2011 xB.

Today I ordered a roof basket (ended up going with this one from discountramps.com

and I ordered a proline blizzard ski rack (3 pairs of skis)

i'll post pictures once they come in. The rack is only 36" wide and the ski rack is 17" wide (for a grand total of 53" wide.) My rack is 47" wide from the inside portion of the mounts, but 58" wide total, so I'm trying to figure out how difficult it will be to mount them over top of the mounts. We will see.

·
Registered
104 Posts
looks awesome.

Though is it a sign of where my mind is when I saw the website and thought of Discount Tramps? or does anyone else see that?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I like it.
I have the Yakima rack, and run a Basketcase as "normal." This shot was taken while waiting for my son at his school. They were throwing a football and he didn't want to leave yet. This is dirty, everyday, daily driver, random pict normal . . .

In that setup, the bars are centered 41.5" apart center-to-center of the crossbars.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
And an older shot:

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
looks awesome.

Though is it a sign of where my mind is when I saw the website and thought of Discount Tramps? or does anyone else see that?
3 for 1 discount:

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The basket case was another one i was debating on. Originally i was thinking the rage stingray, but ultimately i wanted something smaller as to not look too out of place. Also, the width of this one was perfect to allow mounting of a second something or other to the side. For the winter it wlill be my ski rack.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, now here is a stupid question. We'll be traveling back to NY from WI for Christmas (it's where i'm from originally). I'd like to put the luggage inside the basket. I know of at least one option, but was wondering what else there may be. I know discount ramps offers the soft waterproof roof bags for fairly inexpensive. I wasn't sure if there was like, weatherproof covers (like the cargo net) that would wrap over the basket.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Generally, no.
There are way too many basket types and mounting variations for each. There isn't a way to make it waterproof and still wrap around the outside on all the mounting possibilities. The best alternative is a "waterproof" bag that is basically the same size as the basket. Then, strap that bag onto the basket.
I've gotten a number of waterproof bags over the last year just for that purpose. The discontinued Yakima Farout model (the tall one 40" long and 2' wide) fits nicely either in the Basketcase or next to it. I also have some red tarp-bags I found at Walmart, but haven't actually used them yet in rain (hasn't rained when I have used them).

Thanks to this thread . . .
I am eying this basket now:
Luggage Basket with Steel Wind Fairing - Summit Cargo Gear
Rage Powersports » Roof Luggage Basket

I want a Yakima Loadwarrior w/ extension, but can't afford it . . .
To use when carrying larger cargo I want in an open basket.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am incredibly happy with the quality of the Rage basket I just got. I know there is someone on the clubxb forum that has the one you linked on their first gen. It is big, but he also says he is quite happy with it. I wanted something more low profile that offered room for other things to be mounted. But yeah, the company has good prices, they ship quick, and I live in Wisconsin so I got it the next day, haha.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
As I already have the Basketcase for "everyday" use, I'm looking for a massive one I can use when I want bigger. The bigger "Rage" is just a bit more, 62" long, but the sides don't look like they hold the contents from going out the sides enough for me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Makes sense. They really have a decent selection of different sizes of so many different things. It also helps that they are a fraction of the cost of the big names. Now just hopefully it will hold up to the weather.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Looking at the Discount Tramp (hehehe) site, this is the large roof bag I have and like, even is a bit tall. It also fits AWESOME in the back behind the back seat. Plus, it is also a backpack . . .
Yakima Far Out™ Cargo Bag

It is on a clearance sell for $130. I got mine as a vendor floor demo for like $80 on ebay. WELL worth it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, just got back from driving a bit, highway speeds it gets a little noisy, could use a fairing, but not so loud that it's unbearable. I emailed Rage to see if they will ever make a fairing for it haha.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
OK, basket update . . .
I got my Stingray basket today. I want to note several key things:

1) the larger basket frame tubing is THE SAME as the Yakima cross bars, SO the accessories will fit. As I don't have either a Loadwarrior or Megawarrior to compare spacing, I don't know about the Yakima basket-specific stuff. But, what mounts with the typical Yakima snaparound brackets WILL fit.
2) the spacing of my cross bars mean that as-built mounting won't work, because the inner bars are closer than the 40.5" of my bars. The space between the main 1" frame bar and the first 1/2" bar is rather large, same on the rear.
So, my mounting (done tonight at 5:30, though was rather dark and chilly when doing it) was double-stacked Yakima snaparounds and a LONG bolt (actually used some eyebolts I have to use with my board I mount on the rack for large flat cargo) on the front and the stock Rage ones on the back crossbar. I'm not exactly happy with it as-is, so will work on it more to get it where it is strong, looks clean, and is easy to actually use (and post picts when there is light and I gave time).
3) I mounted the fairing the same as the way Yakima mounts their's, so it will work the same. I covered the top three holes with black vinyl, so they won't whistle in the wind.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.