Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
The only tools you need would be a small screwdriver to push a tab. Everything snaps together.

Here is a list of wiper switches you can use. It comes from Yarisworld apparently they do the same mod. The difference between the two is the newer switch has icons and the older has text. I have been looking at eBay and checking local scrap yards for a few weeks. The only one I have been able to find is from the older Prius. Mine was $50 including shipping.

84652-48180
2008+ Highlander
2008+ Prius
2008+ RAV4
2008 RX330
2008 RX400H

84652-48060
From
2007-2008 Highlander
2005-2007 Prius
2006-2007 RAV4
2004-2007 RX330
2005-2007 RX400H

I disconnected the negative cable from my battery first. It may be unnecessary, but anytime I play around the steering column I get paranoid about accidentally activating the air bag. Better safe than sorry.

Here is the part I received from eBay. It has both the wiper and headlight switch. It was actually cheaper than the auctions for just the wiper switch.

Just push this tab to separate the wiper switch from the assembly. It is easier to see here than in the clutter of the steering column.

Here it is apart.

To get to the switch on the steering column look for the seam where the top and bottom covers meet. Squeeze the bottom cover right below the seam. It should pop apart. You can then pull it off. The top will just pull off as well.

Here is what you should see.

Find these two white plugs on the bottom of the switch.

Unplug them.

Here is the same tab to push as on my new part. Push it and the switch just slides out. (Ignore the dust :D)

Here is a side-by-side of the xB and Prius switches. You can see the Prius switch has a few extra pins. I'm assuming they are for the dual-speed rear wiper. No wires go to them on our xB's. Apparently there is a relay at the rear wiper motor on the vehicles this switch comes from that is required for the two speeds. The guy at Yarisworld said it also requires a return wire from the relay to the switch. It might be interesting to try, but sounds like a pain. Also, I don't have a car to look at to match up wires.

Now just reverse the process.
Snap the Prius switch into place.
Plug in the two wire connectors.
Snap the steering column covers back on.
Reconnect the battery cable.
(Reprogram all of your radio presets.)
You're done!

I think it actually took longer to reprogram my radio presets than to swap out the switch! The whole process was done in about 10 minutes.

If you're interested, here is the link to the diy at Yarisworld. It is similar, but they have a few screws to take out.
DIY - Liftback Intermittent Wipers via Stalk Replacement (v2.0) - Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thanks for sharing.The DIY looks great.Now that everybody knows how to do it,Ebay is going to have a lot of activity.Has anybody priced the switches at Scion yet,just in case Ebay runs out? Finnally going to get rid of one quirck.
This is what this site is all about-letting everyone know.
Thanks again,Dale

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I priced the switch at Scion several months ago. If memory serves it was in the neighborhood of $200. A local scrap yard would probably be cheaper than eBay if you can find the part.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I did the buy off of ebay,and got the switch in three days,pulled the covers,installed the new one just like you showed,but in trying to put the covers back on, I'm having trouble getting the top snd bottom covers to align just under the steering wheel. This morning,before it gets hot,I'll retry useing some liquid hand soap to help the tabs snap back together. The whole prosess was not too hard to do. Now all we need here is some rain to try it out. Thanks again for the DIY, just one more thing I can scratch off of my bucket list.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad to be of help. It hasn't rained here yet either!

It took me 2 or 3 tries to get the covers snapped back on too.

·
Registered
844 Posts
up up date. I got out this @ 8:20 this morning and tried to put the covers on.With a little help from some liquid hand soap,they finnally went back in place.One of the things that I found was when taking the connectors off the original switch was to remove the switch first then flipping the switch over made disconntecting easier as I could get to the locking tabs. I checked out the operation by raising the wiper arms and then operating the switch through all of its different positions. The rear wiper only works on the second position not the first.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm looking on ebay and found one from a 08 Prius. The seller's compatability calculator says it will not fit a Scion. Should I have worries?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm looking on ebay and found one from a 08 Prius. The seller's compatability calculator says it will not fit a Scion. Should I have worries?
According to the list above, that switch should fit. If you check the p/n,It should match up with one of the two mentioned in the writeup. Try to ask, if the p/n is not in the description. Good luck.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It won't say it is compatible because it isn't original equipment for the xB.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It won't say it is compatible because it isn't original equipment for the xB.
Many years ago, the Japanese had to use parts for more than just model because there weren't that many mfg's in their country. That being said, they still use a lot of parts for many of their cars and trucks. If one thinks about it, the costs for making and stocking different parts comes down with commonly used items. Therefore,the switch in question does in fact "fit" but not every function works. For example the rear wiper on the Prius has 2 speeds whereas the xB has only 1. So the first position doesn't do anything but the second position does work. I have had this switch in since the middle of summer,and it is still working with no problems.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Think I'm gonna get the one on ebay. It's off an 08' Prius but sick thing is they have the photo of the car as they're parting out the whole car and it has blood stains all over the seats. Yuk!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just did this mod last night. Right before all the rain hit today. Worked great driving to work this morning. It's wonderful to have variable wipers again - so stupid of Toyota for not putting it in the xB to begin with. Got mine off of ebay for $46.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just did this this weekend. Took about 10 minutes. The hardest part was getting the plastic cover to snap back in place. Since its raining this morning I got try it out. Works great. Thanks all.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.