Scion XB Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
variable wiper switch install

Seriously? I got my part for less than 40 bucks shipped off ebay. When i do my install, I'll make an attempt at photos. I hope it's as easy as folks here say it is.
there are some excellent photos and 'how to' on this forum somewhere.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Many thanks to TartanJack for editing the original post to repair the broken photo links for me! :cheers:

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
No problem.

Got me thinking about doing it myself now . . .
-If can get a cheap part, will be done.

Edit . . .
Just, won one on a "submit offer" for well under $50, shipped. So, will do now.
Guess that will be my purchase of the week . . .

If anyone is interested, look for a Highlander one on ebay. There is an 08 one $50, or best offer, listed as of typing. Would be a good deal.

·
Registered
843 Posts
My wife's Mini has automatic wipers that work like that. It is a very nice feature. The only thing I noticed about the raintracker that I don't really care for is the 2 inch square sensor that you stick to the windshield.
Yeah my Mini has a thing stuck to the windshield too. Thats what senses the rain. It's great when there is just sporadic rain. Even speed adjustable intermittent wont turn of when the rain stops. I like the feature and at $80 it's pretty good value.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yeah my Mini has a thing stuck to the windshield too. Thats what senses the rain. It's great when there is just sporadic rain. Even speed adjustable intermittent wont turn of when the rain stops. I like the feature and at $80 it's pretty good value.
If you end up installing one, start a thread. I'd like to hear how well it works.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
That would be interesting.

Back to topic . . .
I've got a Prius one coming, but am wondering which style I will actually prefer. Fortunately, they switch out easily and quickly.
Part of me likes the quick-move up-down movement of the stock, rather than the twist of the intermittent one.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That would be interesting.

Back to topic . . .
I've got a Prius one coming, but am wondering which style I will actually prefer. Fortunately, they switch out easily and quickly.
Part of me likes the quick-move up-down movement of the stock, rather than the twist of the intermittent one.
The up-down movements are the same: up for mist, down one = intermittent, down two = low, down three = high.

The only new twisting is to change the intermittent rate.

There is still the twist for the rear wiper. Since we don't have intermittent rear wiper you will have to turn it two clicks since the first stop (intermittent) won't do anything.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Cool, thanks.

That actually helps, a lot. That was the reason I hesitated this long.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Holy cow, was that ever an easy mod... Popped off the bottom trim piece, then the lower column piece, then the upper column piece. Found the single tab on the stalk, pushed that in with a screwdriver and the unit came right off, still attached to the wiring harness. Took a minute or so to figure out how the get the plugs out. Then reassembled it all the way it came apart. Hardest part was getting the three trim pieces all back in the right spot. I didn't even need to disconnect the battery for this one.

I took a short video of my very first testing of the new install. Works like a charm! Scion xB intermittent wiper mod. - YouTube

Also made a small album with pictures. http://imgur.com/a/4QuAt

·
Registered
841 Posts
Good job! It just shows that such a little thing like that could make such a big difference.
I love the ability to adjust the cycle of the wipers to the conditions of the weather.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Bump.

This is EASY!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice write up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
and this is why I love forums! Page is book marked for me and I'll certainly be doing this mod sometime soon. Thanks for all the great info and pics!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't like doing any upgrades or modifications that result in non-functional options or features. I used my multimeter to work out which pins drive which functions and figured out how to enable the rear wiper on both the low and high settings (albeit at the same speed).

xB harness on the left, Prius on the right. Note the extra pin. Pink is the rear wiper on the xB, and the Prius is split into low (pink) and high (black) wires side by side.

I took pink the pin and wire out of the Prius connector (had to crush the whole connector with pliers; it's not a removable pin and this was an extra piece from the salvage yard) and pushed it into my xB connector in the correct spot. Then I took a 18-22ga red wire tap and connected both pink wires together.

Now my rear wiper works on both low and high settings.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don't like doing any upgrades or modifications that result in non-functional options or features. I used my multimeter to work out which pins drive which functions and figured out how to enable the rear wiper on both the low and high settings (albeit at the same speed).

xB harness on the left, Prius on the right. Note the extra pin. Pink is the rear wiper on the xB, and the Prius is split into low (pink) and high (black) wires side by side.

I took pink the pin and wire out of the Prius connector (had to crush the whole connector with pliers; it's not a removable pin and this was an extra piece from the salvage yard) and pushed it into my xB connector in the correct spot.
Someday I'd like to take this one step further, and wire in an intermittent timer to allow true Low operation. Does the new Low speed wire position activate the rear wiper via ground completion?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I didn't check whether it was power or ground; I took the switch out and tested resistance between different pin combinations to locate the proper wiring position.

A proper low/high would require another wire run to the rear hatch (huge pain in the ***) and then you could probably use the module from a Prius or similar.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts