Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving this to a new thread since I'd like to hear more about people's thoughts on wheel setups and what they have. Do you like stretched, or bulge? Do you have different setup than recommended or stock for the xB (for 16", 17", 18", or 19")?

I know bog stock is 205/55-16 x 6.5
17" stock if you get those wheels is 225/45-17 x 7
18"?
19" stock if you get those wheels is 235/35-19 x 8 correct?

I actually have a lot of screenshots of setups from rimsntires so I may post them up here later.

There are lots of converters out there.
Yep, rimsntires.com has a great comparer where you can put two setups side by side and see all their measurements and bulge, etc. and there is speedometer and fit result below. Put in your car first under wheels, and then after selecting xB, click the "Compare" link and it will have the OEM setup in the first diagram. The two 18" setups below are both of course lower profile tires (height), but also have 7mm more bulge - 47mm vs 40mm (width out from rim). I thought people looking for sportier appearances generally wanted less bulge, or even some stretch, right? But I would guess a little more bulge would help counteract the rougher bumps in a lower profile tire. The recommended 17" tire setup, and OEM if you get 17" wheels, is the same way (225/45-17). You have to reduce the tire width to maybe 215 for similar to stock bulge (37mm).

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't care for stretched hella-flush or bulge look. My goal was to have a decent size sidewall for potholes/comfort and mpg. The ideal size would have been 215-45-17 but it just looked a bit too thin for me and the Michelins I wanted did not come in that size.

17X8 +35 Enkei Rpf1
Michelin Energy Saver A/S 225-50-17

As you know my tire set up will have a slight discrepancy on the dash reading but it doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't care for stretched hella-flush or bulge look. My goal was to have a decent size sidewall for potholes/comfort and mpg. The ideal size would have been 215-45-17 but it just looked a bit too thin for me and the Michelins I wanted did not come in that size.

17X8 +35 Enkei Rpf1
Michelin Energy Saver A/S 225-50-17

As you know my tire set up will have a slight discrepancy on the dash reading but it doesn't really bother me.
Cool, to each his own. That 225-50-17 isn't actually the recommended for 17", but interestingly it does have the exact same sidewall height as the 16" stock. So you should feel pretty similar I'm thinking, just have bigger wheels.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the scheme of things, these bulge and sidewall height differences aren't really that much for these options. I don't really notice the bulge on the 17" setups being any more - and it's just 7mm more. I'm still thinking the regular 225-45-17 for mine, a hair more bulge, but lower profile as the 215-50-17 has almost same sidewall height as 16" stock.

The 215-45-17 you mentioned is interesting.

The DiscountTireDirect guy I chatted with said:
Jim : The factory 17" option is 225/45R17. That is a good size to upgrade to.
Jim : Or a 215/50R17 as well. Either size are the best 2 options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.