Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I did a visual inspection of my 2009 xB engine bay and I saw pink residue; I then check my coolant reservoir tank and it was about 1/2" below the Low mark. I did some search and found this thread from toyotanation.com:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268898&highlight=coolant
So I take my 2009 xB to the dealer and indeed it was the water pump is leaking coolant. Did this happen to any of you yet? My xB only ~12K mile and this already occurred.

Here are what on the Repair Invoice:
-16100-0H050 PUMP ASSY, WATER
-161011 LEAK AT ENG. C, POROUS WATER PUMP CASTING. R, REPLACE WATER PUMP ASSY.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ro-oh :eek:hno: hope this is not another vendor quality issue. Good you had an eye on it before you overheated. Good save.
BTW, had first oil change down here in Sarasota at Germain Toyota and they tried to charge me for 5K oil change and tire rotation. Had to remind service writer that Scion has a 5K and 10K free oil change. Ironically this was the same guy who did not put my reservation in computer 2 weeks ago. Hope your service experiance went smoother.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After further searching from other Scion forums, it's look like a common problem for the 2AZ engine on 2nd Gen. Scion xB, Scion tC, and 5/6th Gen. Camry. Here is the link for more detail:
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170350

Read my reply on page 8 for other problem I seen on my xB: the pillar creek that is suppose to be only on 2008 xB, and the Steering Wheel TSB that I just found out today: http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB/2009/Scion/xB/Steering+Wheel

I notice the random clunking sound from the steering wheel sometime back, usually when I park for sometime with the front wheels turn at some angle and try to center it before I drive away. Just wondering if you or any one notice this as well?

I'm happy with my xB for almost 2 yrs now, and I don't want any more problem that lead me to look into other brand.

p.s. They did an oil change for me free of charge and give me 1 oil filter when they replace my water pump, but they put the wrong oil viscosity of 5w-30 instead of the recommended viscosity of 5w-20 or 0w-20. :mad:

·
Registered
110 Posts
9002Bx said:
Today, I did a visual inspection of my 2009 xB engine bay and I saw pink residue; I then check my coolant reservoir tank and it was about 1/2" below the Low mark. I did some search and found this thread from toyotanation.com:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268898&highlight=coolant
So I take my 2009 xB to the dealer and indeed it was the water pump is leaking coolant. Did this happen to any of you yet? My xB only ~12K mile and this already occurred.

Here are what on the Repair Invoice:
-16100-0H050 PUMP ASSY, WATER
-161011 LEAK AT ENG. C, POROUS WATER PUMP CASTING. R, REPLACE WATER PUMP ASSY.
Hmm, did you notice the leak on the ground or did you see it in the engine bay? Toyota is starting to produce shitty cars.

·
Registered
474 Posts
O.K. this is something to keep an eye on. I checked my xB2 this morning with engine cold and the coolent level was about an inch or so above the recovery tube...I will check again later today after the engine is warmed to operating and see if it comes up to the full level and above the low level line. Knowing the the coolent will expand with the engine temp up to operational I'm not sure at the moment if there is a problem with the level. There are no indications of a leak...etc.

Brewski

·
Registered
82 Posts
i wonder if thats why i smell antifreeze all the time

for me its time to leave the toyota family-when they refuse to fix issues it tells me they dont care anymore about the customer

and i honestly believe this is just the tip of the iceberg ,lots of quality issues will come to light over the next year or so-and who honestly believes installing a thin metal shim will fix the speeding issue-lol-if it was such a simple fix why not do it at the factory 5-6 years ago when these issues started?

when a company tells you a transmission clunk is a natural thing and go play with yourself its time to go-

maybe scion thinks people who buy them are young enough that they can get away with such a attitude-

·
Registered
474 Posts
Brewski said:
O.K. this is something to keep an eye on. I checked my xB2 this morning with engine cold and the coolent level was about an inch or so above the recovery tube...I will check again later today after the engine is warmed to operating and see if it comes up to the full level and above the low level line. Knowing the the coolent will expand with the engine temp up to operational I'm not sure at the moment if there is a problem with the level. There are no indications of a leak...etc.

Brewski
Brought xB up to operating temp.... coolent level is about 3/4 inch below "LOW" level indicator at operating temp :yawn: ...I don't see this as a problem, but will insist that it be topped off at next service :yes: ...unless of course I see a loss of coolent below where it is now. (Note: Coolent level should be checked at operating temperature and added to between "Low" and "Full" while coolent is hot....if you add to the "Full" line while the engine coolent is "cold" coolent may overflow once the engine is up to normal operating temperature.)

Brewski

·
Registered
739 Posts
rosconey said:

for me its time to leave the toyota family-when they refuse to fix issues it tells me they dont care anymore about the customer

and i honestly believe this is just the tip of the iceberg ,lots of quality issues will come to light over the next year or so-and who honestly believes installing a thin metal shim will fix the speeding issue-lol-if it was such a simple fix why not do it at the factory 5-6 years ago when these issues started?

when a company tells you a transmission clunk is a natural thing and go play with yourself its time to go-

maybe scion thinks people who buy them are young enough that they can get away with such a attitude-
Are you always so negative? Instead of telling us that you are going to leave on just about every thread. Leave already.

·
Registered
474 Posts
gr8scape said:
rosconey said:
Are you always so negative? Instead of telling us that you are going to leave on just about every thread. Leave already.

Maybe he is really a new car salesman with GM or Honda and doesn't own a Scion....Nah! :naughty:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I was thinking the same think. Stranger stuff has been known to happen. I'm just tired of his whinning on every thread.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ohh i guess i shouldnt be mad that i cant get service-

be fan boys-

toyota has the shortest warranty-i looked past that because i expected service and a quality car-i guess that makes me a bad person

and this is my last post aholes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ARSTECHNICA said:
Hmm, did you notice the leak on the ground or did you see it in the engine bay? Toyota is starting to produce ####ty cars.
No coolant on the ground at all; only pink residue on the hood liner, water pump and alternator pulley, some on the engine block (around the water pump), and some on the radiator. On the hood liner, there is a fat line of pink residue, tiny specks of pink. The dealer said that it just started to leak, so they replace it under guarantee.

All, don't get me wrong. I love my xB and I still think Toyota/Scion is still one of the most reliable car manufacture. We have at least three 5th Gen. Camrys, two 6th Gen. Camrys, and many other models of Toyota. None that have problem like my xB. Well not yet nor to early. Maybe it's my luck that I chose one of a few with problems. :( I'm just venting my frustration.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Glad they are going to replace it at no cost to you :D. May the rest of your Scion ownership days be trouble free.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Every vehicle manufacturer has had problems. Right now, it's Toyota. Next time it'll be someone else. Like I said before, I've had Toyotas for years with few problems...not no problems, but few. Like the time I'm going to see my family and am already 90 miles from home when the engine light comes on in my 4Runner. It was 1:00 a.m. and I didn't know what to do. I got out, checked everything that I could and went back home. I took it in and it was the air flow sensor...$400 worth. I got it fixed and made my 1,000-mile trip without further problems. I had that vehicle for nearly eight years and that was the only thing I did out of the ordinary.

It is a personal choice what vehicle you own and drive. This forum is for Scion 2nd gen xB owners and a fair amount of aggravation has been voiced here. Opinions are just that and we are entitled to those, but once something is fixed or over or done, move on like in real life. We do want to hear about bad experiences because it could happen to us, but one thread should be enough. Thank you for reading my blather.

·
Registered
781 Posts
ARSTECHNICA said:
Hmm, did you notice the leak on the ground or did you see it in the engine bay? Toyota is starting to produce ####ty cars.
The leak is really slow and you may not notice a level difference, but the problem is the water pump bearing starts wearing prematurely resulting in the pink fluid seeping past it and getting thrown onto the underside of the hood. It creates a fore-to-aft line above the pump pulley/bearing -- that is the symptom.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just checked under the hood; no pink line and fluid level is good. I have 32,000 miles on mine since Oct '07 and haven't added any coolant. Just out of curiosity I looked up several models on msn autos that use the 2.4L engine, and the water pump appears to be a weak point, to otherwise solid reliability on several Toyota models.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Blk Box said:
Ro-oh :eek:hno: hope this is not another vendor quality issue. Good you had an eye on it before you overheated. Good save.
BTW, had first oil change down here in Sarasota at Germain Toyota and they tried to charge me for 5K oil change and tire rotation. Had to remind service writer that Scion has a 5K and 10K free oil change. Ironically this was the same guy who did not put my reservation in computer 2 weeks ago. Hope your service experiance went smoother.
Hey BB...

Post your dealer experience here and name names http://newscionxb.com/2nd_gen_scion_xb_talk/dealer_experience-t267.0.html

·
Registered
566 Posts
rosconey said:
ohh i guess i shouldnt be mad that i cant get service-

be fan boys-

toyota has the shortest warranty-i looked past that because i expected service and a quality car-i guess that makes me a bad person

and this is my last post aholes
Adios.

When you think about the complexity of today's automobiles and the performance/reliability/longevity expectations of owners, it's amazing that cars don't self destruct within six months and every car owner isn't ranting about their experiences. Think about it. You get in your car, expect it to start every time, take you where you want to go in comfort, warm you when you're cold, cool you when you're hot, keep you dry when it rains, play your favorite music with incredible realism, go fast, stop quick, light up the road at night (even when you're backing up), tell you when you've left the lights on or the door open, keep moisture off the inside of the windows, correct your driving and braking mistakes, protect you with inflatable air bags when you crash, etc.,etc.,etc.,...and do all of this for tens of thousands of miles, year after year.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
If you think you're having this issue check your hood liner. If you see a pink line, you're having the problem. I just got mine changed out, I didnt have the issue at 20k but at 24k it showed up. Read the thread on scionlife, linked above, for more details.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just noticed the "Pink" line on the underside of my hood and the antifreeze is low also! I have 45K on my 2008 and was hoping this wasn't going to happen so soon. I do believe that there is either a quality problem with the part or it's the antifreeze used.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow morning and see how soon they can do it.

It states in the owners manual that the water pump will be covered under the Power Train warranty for 5yr/60k miles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.