Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my quick-and-easy install guide for the Weapon-R Engine Torque Damper, which I ordered through ScionScene on this forum. If you aren't aware of what an engine torque damper does, it attaches the engine mount/brace to the frame using a gas-filled shock. This puts resistance on the engine, severely decreasing its range of motion during shifts. Power to the wheels is lost when this movement takes place. The Weapon-R Engine Torque Damper gives you that power back.

For everyone that's read my Secret Weapon Intake install, I'm not too gearhead-literate, so I'm just going to once again make up my own name for some of these parts. Feedback is appreciated! Good luck installing!

Install time: approximately 20 minutes

Tools Required:

* 14mm socket driver
* 17mm socket driver

Step 01: Identification
These are the four bolts we will be working with. The type of tool required for each is marked.

Step 02: Install A-bracket
Unscrew the two bolts on the passenger side strut tower using your 14mm tool. The A-shaped bracket that comes with the engine torque damper will only fit on the passenger strut tower one way. The angled part should face downward. Screw the bolts back on.

Step 03: Install Second Bracket
A little tip that eviljack told me. Before removing the two 17mm bolts on the engine brace, use a jack to put just a slight amount of pressure on the bottom of the engine. This will prevent the engine from "sinking" when you remove these two bolts, which support it. Now use your 17mm tool to remove the bolts. Attach the angled bracket to the engine brace. It should line up like a backwards "L" if looking at it from the front. Tighten the 17mm bolts back on.

Step 04: Install Torque Damper
The final step is to attach the torque damper. The narrow part should face forward as in the picture. No further explanation should be necessary.

Now how do I like this mod? It has its ups and downs. I purchased this mainly to help reduce shift shock in my manual transmission, which I was told would also deliver more power to the wheels. I can feel a noticeable difference in both aspects; I definitely got my moneys worth. I've never dyno'd my car though, so I wouldn't be able to produce numbers.

That being said, there is a downside. If you are modding your vehicle with performance in mind, consider the Weapon-R engine torque damper. If this is a daily driven shared vehicle or family vehicle, skip out. The reason I say this is because at times your vehicle will vibrate more than normal, especially if you give it too little gas in 1st gear, or switch to 2nd too early. Even more so, there is an obvious noise that comes with driving when the engine torque damper is installed. It sounds almost like a sharp whine when you accelerate quickly. Other noises occasionally arise under other driving conditions. I like the sound, and if you know what you're doing in a 5-speed, you shouldn't notice the vibration too badly. It has been reported that when installing in an automatic you get a noticeable vibration at idle.

When weighing the pros and cons, I am more than satisfied with this product. You really do have to experience it for yourself though. The noise I am reporting from the torque damper is true for all brands. A friend of mine has the ingalls one on his tC, and it sounds the same. I definitely recommend this product, just don't expect a quiet ride! Buy from ScionScene!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Awsome do-it yourself there buddy. I am still a bit on the fence about this one, maybe you let me drive your xB next time I see ya. I kinda wanna hear the noise for myself. While I like to build for performance, this one is a daily driver and family car to be.

Oh and for a gearhead illetirate you did an amazing job there. I believe that install should be easy to understand for anyone.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eviljack said:
Oh and for a gearhead illetirate you did an amazing job there. I believe that install should be easy to understand for anyone.
Hehe... thanks. Each time I open my hood I'm trying to learn a new part...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Answer is YES. You need to install the torque damper first, but you can do both. I believe this was covered on another post... I have not done this myself yet. However, ScionScene's xB has the Weapon-R engine torque damper as well as the TRD Front Strut Brace if I recall right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts