Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I would like to get a CAI for my 2012. It seems to be somewhat personal preference which to get (also some Short Ram advocates made themselves known :) ) People mentioned AEM, Injen, Fujita, K&N...

At first I was leaning toward the TRD CAI. It has higher cost but my car is on warranty to 7yrs/100K miles and if I got that installed at the dealer I take it that would be warrantied also. It looks really cool. However, the new TRD CAI looks like it uses a traditional airbox. Here is a PDF for install instructions that really shows how it looks. It doesn't look a whole lot more functional than the stock. The differences would be in the filter itself and the placement of the original air intake hole. Is there something else I'm missing? I didn't see it on Scion's site or some other video I found ( TRD )

I was curious so I checked where the air intake hole is now and I couldn't believe but I saw the biggest U bend piping. The thing snorkels down from the airbox to where the CAI would go behind the bumper and then back up to near the airbox. WTF. I could just cut it off down there and put in a different filter (and buy one of those vented plastic pieces).

Ok so I'm not averse to getting a different one and I think I could handle the install (plus the saved $$). It's too bad the TRD one looks so darn cool though. I thought about getting a TRD badge for my grille like I saw on someone else's but I'd want to actually have something TRD before having a badge, doh :)

My state (IL) doesn't have CARB and the K&N short ram seems legal from their site. We do have emissions testing but I guess not as strict? It seems a little strange that the intake would affect the emissions enough to be noticeable.

I'm not going for more noise, but I don't care if there is more noise over 3000 RPMs I guess.

Ok so people have said it's basically personal preference. That's not a very good answer. That just means there isn't a good comparison for the performance which should be one part of the equation that can be measured. I did see one dyno test someone did with several kinds but I can't find it now. I'll try to dig it up again. I think the Injen won. However it was mentioned that with the engine learning takes a bit of time so the differences could be difficult to test for.

Ok so what should I go for? :)

Here is the article on CAI vs SR that I've seen linked in the past:
Cold Air Intake vs Short Ram Intake – What’s the difference?

"Typically, since the cold air intake draws in cooler air it usually makes more horsepower than a short ram. However, depending on engine design, this isn't always the case, and we'll explain further below."
What about when it's cold out? LOL. It gets cold in winter here. Would somewhat warmer air be beneficial then? The Short Rams that have the heat shields seem cool but they are still sucking air from right around the heat shield. I have to think that the CAI is indeed getting cooler air.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
266 Posts
(also some Short Ram advocates made themselves known :) )
Your Honor, I plead guilty :D

If you have a lot of snow, you might wanna read about hydro-lock! That's mainly why I chose the Short Ram. And because of the engine noise, which you don't seem to highly consider. I know that I guy from this forum hydro-locked his xB but I can't find him....

Edit : Brewski, here is the thread

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If you have a lot of snow, you might wanna read about hydro-lock! That's mainly why I chose the Short Ram. And because of the engine noise, which you don't seem to highly consider. I know that I guy from this forum hydro-locked his xB but I can't find him....

Hehe

Yeah I remember seeing the hydro-lock on here somewhere also. I will definitely avoid that like the plague! Another reason to go TRD also for warranty coverage. But I don't want to get it if it's less functional like the new one seems. If I got the older TRD one they might not count that for warranty. I definitely wouldn't get one without a bypass. It looks like those bypasses really work from the link in that thread - AEM Air-Bypass Valve - Tech - Sport Compact Car Magazine

Really really good thing his insurance covered it. And only $50 deductible, wow. I don't know if I'd be that lucky and my deductible is much higher.

We do have snow, I don't know how it compares to Quebec but it varies. It can be deep sometimes. We get most kinds of weather here, basically anything but hurricanes but we do sometimes get the rain from them. Lots of thunderstorms and my street has flooded pretty deep before, but I haven't driven through it.

Yeah I don't really desire to get noisier. The wife and pets wouldn't approve. :)

So the newer TRD CAI is probably out since it isn't as functional. Do you think my warranty would work with the older TRD CAI? I could have the dealer install it and just give them a different bumper vent. After that then it's down to aftermarket CAI (with bypass!) or Short Ram.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I think the user who experienced hydrolock was xbinrochester. If I remember correctly, he posted a few weeks ago that he sold his xB.

As for a CAI in winter... the main point behind a cai is that colder air is more dense. Think more oxygen molecules per gallon of air. Since oxygen is required for good combustion, more dense air = more efficient combustion.

As for snow, since it is a solid, it wouldn't pass through the filter. Also remember that on average 10 inches of snow is only about 1 inch of rain. So even if the snowflakes melted on the filter I don't think it would be likely to hydrolock any more than driving through dense fog (but def use a bypass!).

I'm technically in the Chicago area too (NW Indiana), and I also worry about flooded streets. The streets frequently flood near my house. But, I also don't really want the loudness of a short ram. Definitely let us know what you go with and how the in-cabin sound levels work out for you.

My understanding of warranties is that if Toyota installs a factory part, it falls under your new-car warranty. If you install/modify something, the dealership has to PROVE that your mod is what caused whatever damage to your car before they can deny coverage.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great to hear from other Midwesterners on here! Though I'm not near Chicago, more St. Louis. xsalvationx is in Waukegan too.

I understand the dense air idea. However I thought I read somewhere that at a certain point, colder air is worse. We need a Mythbusters dedicated to auto stuff.

I understand the warranty stuff the same.

For flooded streets - when I'm getting a CAI, I will definitely get one with bypass.... and I will take a look where the intake is sitting so I know how deep it is. Also, for the bumper vent, something like a simple screen right behind it could keep out/dampen the larger water droplets as just another layer of protection and not really affect airflow. I just bought some black plastic screening and made a screen window for my attic so I could use the same stuff. You could always stick some kind of solid baffle in there too between the vent and the filter/intake hole to completely negate splashing. I doubt the ram air effect of air flowing through the bumper vent really does anything. It's probably just turbulence in there, though cooler air turbulence :)

I will definitely let you guys know what I do, with videos maybe too. No promises on time frame though. That depends on money.

·
Registered
967 Posts
How about a functioning hood scoop connected to a short ram! :clown:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey that's an idea. I was just wondering how I can make my B more like a Camaro. :clown:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ok, I would like to get a CAI for my 2012. It seems to be somewhat personal preference which to get (also some Short Ram advocates made themselves known :) ) People mentioned AEM, Injen, Fujita, K&N...

At first I was leaning toward the TRD CAI. It has higher cost but my car is on warranty to 7yrs/100K miles and if I got that installed at the dealer I take it that would be warrantied also. It looks really cool. However, the new TRD CAI looks like it uses a traditional airbox. Here is a PDF for install instructions that really shows how it looks. It doesn't look a whole lot more functional than the stock. The differences would be in the filter itself and the placement of the original air intake hole. Is there something else I'm missing? I didn't see it on Scion's site or some other video I found ( TRD )

I was curious so I checked where the air intake hole is now and I couldn't believe but I saw the biggest U bend piping. The thing snorkels down from the airbox to where the CAI would go behind the bumper and then back up to near the airbox. WTF. I could just cut it off down there and put in a different filter (and buy one of those vented plastic pieces).

Ok so I'm not averse to getting a different one and I think I could handle the install (plus the saved $$). It's too bad the TRD one looks so darn cool though. I thought about getting a TRD badge for my grille like I saw on someone else's but I'd want to actually have something TRD before having a badge, doh :)

My state (IL) doesn't have CARB and the K&N short ram seems legal from their site. We do have emissions testing but I guess not as strict? It seems a little strange that the intake would affect the emissions enough to be noticeable.

I'm not going for more noise, but I don't care if there is more noise over 3000 RPMs I guess.

Ok so people have said it's basically personal preference. That's not a very good answer. That just means there isn't a good comparison for the performance which should be one part of the equation that can be measured. I did see one dyno test someone did with several kinds but I can't find it now. I'll try to dig it up again. I think the Injen won. However it was mentioned that with the engine learning takes a bit of time so the differences could be difficult to test for.

Ok so what should I go for? :)

Here is the article on CAI vs SR that I've seen linked in the past:
Cold Air Intake vs Short Ram Intake – What’s the difference?

"Typically, since the cold air intake draws in cooler air it usually makes more horsepower than a short ram. However, depending on engine design, this isn't always the case, and we'll explain further below."
What about when it's cold out? LOL. It gets cold in winter here. Would somewhat warmer air be beneficial then? The Short Rams that have the heat shields seem cool but they are still sucking air from right around the heat shield. I have to think that the CAI is indeed getting cooler air.

Thanks for any help!
I have the K&N short ram intake with the heath shield. Check out the picture from this amazon site, its the picture of my engine bay.

http://www.amazon.com/69-8613TS-Typhoon-Silver-Intake-System/dp/B001C4SLH2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1339864690&sr=8-8&keywords=k%26n+scion+xb

If you look closely, you can see the rubber tubing along the upper part of the heat shield, that is designed for the hood to rest on. This prevents from the hot air working its way near the filter. Also look closely inbetween the filter and the battery, if you look to the right you see a small air opening. That blows in cold air from the wheel bay.

Good luck in choosing which one you want. I just chose the K&N because you never EVER have to worry about water getting near it, hydrolocking, and when you clean the filter you just open your hood, unlike the CIA its more of a hassle.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the K&N short ram intake with the heath shield. Check out the picture from this amazon site, its the picture of my engine bay.

Amazon.com: K&N 69-8613TS Typhoon Silver Air Intake System: Automotive

If you look closely, you can see the rubber tubing along the upper part of the heat shield, that is designed for the hood to rest on. This prevents from the hot air working its way near the filter. Also look closely inbetween the filter and the battery, if you look to the right you see a small air opening. That blows in cold air from the wheel bay.

Good luck in choosing which one you want. I just chose the K&N because you never EVER have to worry about water getting near it, hydrolocking, and when you clean the filter you just open your hood, unlike the CIA its more of a hassle.
Cool, thanks!

"To see how great the shield worked I opened up my hood after a long drive and touched it. The part of the shield next to the engine was hot, but the inner walls that protect the cone filter wasn't along with the filter itself."

That's a good test. Ok, better than I figured.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The performance of all decent CAI's is pretty close -- unless you're driving competitively, you're unlikely to identify any differences. The current TRD also replaces the top cover of the airbox with one more domed in shape that should flow somewhat better than OE and which feeds their 3" TB pipe. No, the intake doesn't extend down to the vent, but it does draw air from within the fender and so the difference in air temp is going to be minimal, plus there's no risk of drawing in water. The included TRD high flow filter is a good filter and certainly no less so than a K&N.

Yes, you could cutoff the bottom of the OE snorkel, but you're still limited by the smaller ID pipe. I suggest removing the snorkel completely and try driving that way -- makes a very noticeable difference and costs nothing.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I suggest removing the snorkel completely and try driving that way -- makes a very noticeable difference and costs nothing.

So do you think/know...would removing the snorkle increase the sound levels comparable to a cai or short ram? I wouldn't mind a little more sound, but not a lot. That is one of the big factors keeping me from buying one right now. If removing the snorkle would have a similar sound, it would be nice to test it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted to throw my two cents in. I installed the aFe Stage 2 intake on my 2011 xB yesterday. The install was easy and fast, the shield looks great and works as expected. I was surprised at how quiet the intake is when starting up and turning off, a Fujita I had on an older Civic was very noticeable comparatively. There's not much sound until the 3000 mark but when that sound comes, it's very nice. I was quite happy with the immediate throttle response as well. Time will tell if my mpg changes much but overall I'm pleased with the intake.

·
Registered
243 Posts
one of the issues considered @ the top of the post was the impact his decision would have on the 7/100k warranty.

it would be interesting to know if the dealer would warranty installation of the old style trd cai.

·
Registered
781 Posts
So do you think/know...would removing the snorkle increase the sound levels comparable to a cai or short ram? I wouldn't mind a little more sound, but not a lot. That is one of the big factors keeping me from buying one right now. If removing the snorkle would have a similar sound, it would be nice to test it out.
Yes, it does change the sound, the snorkel deliberately quiets the intake -- most people don't want noise!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll take a little bit more sound, it's cool I admit. I just don't want too much like zinger. I'm probably more concerned with aftermarket exhaust noise though. I might try removing that snorkel sometime just so I could see if I notice it like you say :)
This video is fun -

I guess I'm leaning toward just getting an aftermarket CAI and installing myself and giving up on the warranty stuff. Better CAI and save $$.

I tried to pull some teeth with the Scion web chat, I got about what I figured-

Clayton: Hi, my name is Clayton. How may I help you?
Mike: Hi
Mike: I bought a 2012 Scion xB recently.
Clayton: Hello, thank you for contacting Scion. How can I assist you today?
Mike: I was curious about the accessories. In particular I wanted to know about the TRD Cold Air Intake for my car.
Clayton: Ok, what info were you seeking regarding the TRD cold air intake?
Mike: Am I correct that if I had this installed at the Toyota dealer then it would be covered under my standard warranty and my Toyota Extra Care warranty?
Clayton: Yes if that part is on the vehicle when it is purchased then it will be covered by the comprehensive warranty.
Mike: Well actually that part was not on the vehicle... and I believe they don't install that one as part of purchasing the vehicle.
Clayton: If it was to be installed after then it would be covered by the parts replacement warranty of 1 year and no mileage restriction.
Mike: Yes that is on the web site ... it says it can't be sold to the customer at the same time as the new vehicle
Clayton: Was the part installed after you purchased the vehicle or before?
Clayton: I see. Please standby while I research that for you.
Mike: The part isn't on my car, I haven't purchased it or installed it yet. I'm asking so I know ahead of time.
Mike: Ok thank you
Clayton: Thank you for waiting. I am still researching your question. Please standby.
Clayton: Thank you for waiting I apologize for that delay.
Clayton: If that part is installed by the dealership then it will be covered by the 3 year/ 36,000 mile comprehensive warranty.
Mike: Ok that's good to know
Mike: Any ideas about the Extra Care warranty? I have that for 7yrs/100K miles
Clayton: You can view info on the TRD warranty at
TRD
Clayton: You would need to contact Extracare at 800-228-8559 for further info about the extended warranty.
Mike: Ok
Clayton: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Mike: Now I have one more question...
Clayton: Ok, go ahead.
Mike: The Cold Air Intake available on the site is different than for previous model years. The car is almost exacly the same so the previous type of Cold Air Intake would work fine. Would I be able to have that one installed instead of the newer one and it would be covered by my warranty?
Clayton: You would need to speak with the parts department at the dealership to verify if the older part would be compatible and if the same warranty would apply.
Mike: Ok, thanks for your help!
Clayton: You are very welcome. Are there any other questions I can assist you with today?
Mike: That's all. I appreciate it
Clayton: Thank you for contacting Scion. Have a great day!

·
Registered
243 Posts
didn't the 7/100k warranty run you an extra $1000 or more? i know that's what i paid back '07 when i bought mine.

if you decide to go aftermarket, be sure to hang on to your stock air cleaner assembly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For simple tube with a filter I wouldnt waste money on a name brand. You can get a new good brand filter and a ebay pipe kit for 80-100 bucks you will see no difference but a lighter wallet if you go for a name brand intake. The Ebay one is a clone of the Injen spec for spec. Save the other $150-200 bucks for other mods or gas money! Also a CAI is WAY better than the airbox mod. While the airbox mod is better than a stock intake, the ebay cai is leaps and bounds better than the airbox mod! I gained 2 mpg highway with the airbox mod and another 3 after the CAI giving me a solid 33mpg freeway and 27mpg in town.
As far as sound goes the CAI is silent/not noticeable at all RPM's unless you open it up to wide open throttle.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I don't mind a little noise if I step on it. What was giving me second thoughts is all of the comments that "you don't hear it until 3k rpm". Does that mean if I'm going down the highway at 75-80 I'm going to hear the intake droning? (I don't remember what the rpm's are at highway speeds though.)"

·
Registered
474 Posts

O.K. I'm still running with the Fujita with AEM by-pass. Installation on my '08 only required removing the battery (and that only to make it easier.) I can remove and replace the filter by removing the battery only... (again to make it easier.) I also have the TRD vent in the bumper which allows somewhat cooler air from the outside to be brought into the intake verus engine bay air. Hope this helps.
:cheers:
Brewski

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't mind a little noise if I step on it. What was giving me second thoughts is all of the comments that "you don't hear it until 3k rpm". Does that mean if I'm going down the highway at 75-80 I'm going to hear the intake droning? (I don't remember what the rpm's are at highway speeds though.)"
You will not hear it unless you go near WOT or full wide open throttle. That holds true for all speeds highway or city. Drone is caused by exhaust/muffler not intake. You could be doing 90 and as long as you are feathering/cruising the throttle you will not hear it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts