1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
There is no need to run anything higher than the octane recommended by Toyota/Scion. If you do notice any increase in mpg, it will be offset by the higher price you pay and there is no benefit to the car.

Here's a great thread about using higher octane fuel before it goes off topic:
http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7641

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scion said:
Yanges, run a couple of tanks of the higher octane and post your results. I still run 87 octane.
i will do that - i could feel the difference in my Solara between 87 & 89 octane, although it was not that different i felt slightly more power from the 89 octane fuel - though i do think 91 octane is too much for these engines...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have to run 91 minimum. Then again its not an xB, yet. Sucks. I did notice when I had vehicals that could run on regular that there was a nice increase in performance and mileage. However driving around offset that. So its usually only on long trip that I run high octane. Plus there is nothing wrong with running higher octane once in a while. Just don't do it too much. If you were to buy a brand new vehical and ran 91 octane from day one you would eventually be stuck and not be able to downgrade.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ran two tanks of high octane, I think it was 93 octane and my mileage actually went down two mpg's so I am all done w/ that experiment ha! I have to warm up my car for 5 to 10 minutes cuz it's really cold up here now and that has decreased the mileage too.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's to all.
coastarippa

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
xB boi said:
I thought a higher octane would cause a build up in your fuel lines. IDK, I dont remembe where I erad that :confused:
If anything it will help clean out build up. I think I may have to do research for this to get some actually documents for this. Problem is its hard to get honest write-ups. Alot of people out there like to over exagerate on both ends. They like to make high octane look like its liquid gold. Some say its not worth the extra money. It basically boils down to(no pun intended) that higher octane is more refined. More refined means cleaner and more potent. However its the chemicals and soaps that they add to it afterwards that start to change things.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
ZUGtastic said:
I run 89 if its the same price as 87 and doesnt contain 10% ethanol. But its usually 87
Been running 87. And having a hard time finding stations that sell gas without ethanol in it. with a bit over 1000 miles I'm gettng about 25 mpg per tank. I have heard very little good about running gas with ethanol in it. I have heard it decreases mileage, for one thing.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i starting using 89 octane prior to my trip to Cambria for Christmas - it was a 200+ mile trip each way and there were heavy winds most of the way...

i noticed immediately that the engine felt a little stronger and it felt stronger on the long grades - my mileage was not affected too much although i did get better mileage on the way home than i have before...

i got 24.9 mpg on the way up and 26.2 mpg on the way back - my last trip i got 25.42 on the way home w/ no heavy winds...

i got 25.5 mpg average over the ~440 mile trip...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
scion said:
Yanges, run a couple of tanks of the higher octane and post your results. I still run 87 octane.
Ok scion, i have now used approximately 2.5 tanks of 89 octane fuel - my mileage really did not change much, but i did feel slightly more power from the engine using it... [see my other post in this thread on trip]

i just switched back to 87 octane and plan on using it as my regular grade of fuel - i may put in 89 occasionally when going on a trip, but will otherwise stick with 87 octane...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bargain gas

here is an interesting article on bargain gas and possible harm to your car - i think i will stay with Conoco 76 fuel:

Will bargain gas harm your car?
Friday January 4, 6:00 am ET

Terry Jackson

You're driving down the street with the gas gauge pointing to empty. Scanning the prices on the boards at the gas stations, you notice that the national brands are all around $3.25 a gallon for regular.

Then, you approach Joe's Gas 'n' Go. To your delight, good ol' Joe is selling regular for $3.15.

You think about stopping at Joe's, but wonder: "How good is the gas? Will using Joe's bargain gas harm the performance or reliability of my car?"

The short answer is "no."

At a time when motorists are trying to shave even a few dollars off their fuel bill, shopping some of the lesser-known brands may be a good idea.

The entire nation's gasoline comes from various regional refiners who then sell the product to a wide variety of retailers. The Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, mandates that all gasoline meet certain standards for detergent additives that combat potential deposits on an engine's valves.

In addition, gasoline is periodically tested at the pump to make sure it meets minimum octane ratings for regular, mid-range and premium levels.

That means Joe's gas must perform to a certain standard and likely won't harm your car.

But that doesn't mean Joe's gas is the same as what you'll find coming out of the pump at Chevron, BP, Amoco or other brands.

At the fuel depot, where gasoline from the refiner is dispensed, a lot of brands mix in their own formula of additives that they say goes beyond what the federal government requires.

Some manufacturers say that today's high-tech engines require higher-standard gasoline than the EPA benchmark. Audi, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen have worked with major gasoline companies to set a standard for what is known as Top Tier Detergent Gasoline.

Gas companies that meet these standards include QuikTrip, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, Shell, MFA Oil Company, Kwik Trip/Kwik Star, The Somerset Refinery Inc., Aloha Petroleum, Tri-Par Oil Co., Texaco, Petro-Canada and Sunoco-Canada.

Whether using Top Tier gasoline makes a substantive difference is debatable. AAA contends that any brand of gasoline is safe. In addition, the deposits that Top Tier gasoline helps prevent generally don't cause problems for an engine until after 100,000 miles.

To date, no manufacturer has threatened to void the warranties of drivers who fail to use Top Tier gasoline.

Drivers who are still concerned but who don't want to buy the higher-cost gasoline can visit an auto parts store twice a year to buy a gas additive. For example, Chevron's Techron additive, which the retailer says is in every gallon of its gas, can be bought in a bottle for less than $10.

So, a 20-gallon fill-up at a Chevron or another Top Tier station that costs 10 cents a gallon more than the rate at Joe's bargain gas means a driver would pay $2 more to get those additional additives. Assuming one such fill-up a week, a driver would save $104 a year by buying at Joe's, a savings that would more than cover a twice-a-year purchase of a bottle of detergent additive.

While on the subject of gasoline, drivers should stop paying for gasoline with a higher octane rating than their car needs.

Check the owner's manual to see what the manufacturer recommends -- for most vehicles, the octane rating is 87, which means regular grade. Buying 89, or 92 or 93 octane gasoline will not make your car go faster or get better gasoline mileage. One exception is high-mileage engines that experience "knocking'' -- that pinging noise when you accelerate. You may be able to eliminate such noises by stepping up in octane.

But for the vast majority of consumers, spending 20 cents or more to put higher-octane gas in the tank is an absolute waste.

And with gasoline prices likely to rise as spring and summer approach, drivers should take advantage of everything that will save money at the pump.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Nice article...

While on the subject of gasoline, drivers should stop paying for gasoline with a higher octane rating than their car needs.

Check the owner's manual to see what the manufacturer recommends -- for most vehicles, the octane rating is 87, which means regular grade. Buying 89, or 92 or 93 octane gasoline will not make your car go faster or get better gasoline mileage. One exception is high-mileage engines that experience "knocking'' -- that pinging noise when you accelerate. You may be able to eliminate such noises by stepping up in octane.

But for the vast majority of consumers, spending 20 cents or more to put higher-octane gas in the tank is an absolute waste.
hmmm... I seem to recall saying that... ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
When I had my Evo VIII and Porsche 996, I had it tuned by one of the top tuners in the country who specialized in high performance tunes and tweaking the computer. He told me that although Tier 1 gas stations all claim the same quality of gas, its not really so. Most people are under the misconception that Chevron and Shell, the two brands with the most stations in CA, are the best. He says that those 2 put a lot of addictives in their gas, claiming its better for the engine. It maybe that way if your car has over 100k miles, but on most cars within the 10 yr old mark under 100k, it actually hurts the engine. He says that the cleanest gas you can buy at the pump is from either 76 or Valero (Mobil). He said he would actually use Arco instead of Shell or Chevron. Hes been known to take his car, a Modena Spyder to no name stations like Eagle One or Value Plus.

Thats my 2 cents lol

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I never had problems with shell. Hess on the other had has always kicked on my engine light on my Jetta. While it wasn't the highest of performance vehicals it was tuned up for highoctane gas. Hess was always the cheapest around, brand name or not. Had to stop using them because of the light problem. Shell funny enough is actually cheaper then most right now. When I first moved up here they were one of the most expensive.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Manual says "87 or higher octane." I always run octane 91 on my xB, with only Chevron or Shell gasolines.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts