Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy, so i bought my 08, used and it has no owners manual. I went to get an oil change and was told i need full synthetic and it would be $80. So im not paying that n drove off. So im curious what oil are yall running in those boxes?? What does Scion recomend? And was the jiffy lube trying to sqeeze extra cash??
I will do my own oil from now on,, just need more time. Thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use Mobile1 either 5w-30 or 0w-30 full synthetic but it is not required. If you want to go with regular i would use a mobile 5w-30

Reactions: 9.0 RS lava

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Recommended by Toyota/Scion:
5w-20 or 0w-20.
0w-20 is only in full synthetics.

I use Mobil 1 0w-20 when I can get it and Mobil 1 5-20 when I can't.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I use Mobil 1 5w20 since I have cold winter here, and K&N Oil Filters

·
Registered
976 Posts
I use Castrol Edge full synthetic 0W-20 with K&N filter.

As Tartan Jack said the factory spec for 2008-2010 was non-synthetic. I'm pretty sure they switched to a synthetic blend in 2011 though. I switched to full synthetic after my 2 free oil changes were used up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys.. i guess i need to get an owners manual from Scion,. Or as my neighbor called it Skyon..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look on your oil filler cap. Not sure about the '08s but my '12 cap reads,
" 5w20/0w20 ". My XB came loaded with 5w20 conventional oil. The first free oil change at 5000 miles was with 5w20. The second free oil change at 10,000 miles was also with 5w20 conventional oil. The problem was that they over filled the oil by about 3/8" on the dipstick. I drove it that way for about 300 miles till I could get back to the dealer to let them drain out the excess. There is more to this story, but I don't know that this is the right thread for it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I've found that the dealer I go to ( I get free oil changes there) used to regularly overfill my B. Then about a year ago, when they are done, the service writer checks the dip stick before you go. It appears that they found that too much oil was being wasted with overfills.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Eneos 0w-20 by Nippon Oil Co. full synthetic from Japan. Denso filter. I get a discount on this stuff from work but I try to keep it Japanese. At least for the oil. Eneos has a premium oil too but that stuff is as expensive as gold. Check it out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
5w20

·
Registered
9 Posts
Castrol 5w-20. no problems here. runs smooth like KY jelly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I use and have always used 5w-30 in all of my 4 cylinder cars. Mobil1 or Pennzoil. Honestly it's just what ever is cheapest. My oil changes have run between $13 and $25. I do mine every 3k miles regardless of what some studies may say.

I think synthetic is a massive waste of cash and anyone who goes more than 5,000 miles without changing oil is not treating their car right and I don't care what oil your using.

I've said it about a million times but, these aren't race cars, they're daily driving econo-box Toyotas and their very good at their job. Running full synthetic blah blah blah $80 oil is a huge waste of money.

Edit: I also am the only person save for 1, MAYBE 2, that is allowed to think about touching my hood latch or jack my car up so I never have over or under fill and it's always done right.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
I use Mobil 1 0-20 in my B.
And Pennzoil 5-30 (winter) or 10-30 in my 90 Miata.

Each suits the vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Toyota 0W20 synthetic and OEM oil filter every 5k since new. $40 for oil and filter from the local dealer. I change it myself. Toyota 0W20 is supposedly one of the best 0W oils u can buy. My engine loves it. :biggrin:

Synthetic is NOT required in these vehicles.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Toyota 0W20 synthetic and OEM oil filter every 5k since new. $40 for oil and filter from the local dealer. I change it myself. Toyota 0W20 is supposedly one of the best 0W oils u can buy. My engine loves it. :biggrin:

Synthetic is NOT required in these vehicles.
I've read many places that Mobil makes Toyota's oil. They have had a relationship since the 1950s.

That is the engine lubrication plate from a 1958 Toyopet/Toyota Crown.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts