Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the one thing or the best thing about them that really made you said "I want this car!"

For me, it was definitely how much room is in here. When I started looking for a car this past year (Around early November) one the biggest things was that I wanted a car that had room. I was originally drawn to the impreza (friends have WRXs) but I couldn't find one. So I started looking at other cars and when I saw the xB, I knew it was the car for me. I love how much stuff you can do with them, all the aftermarket parts, how easy maintenance is on them. But what was the selling point for me was that it was a 4 door car, with a hatch, but yet was so much fun to drive on a daily bases that I would never get bored of it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The main reason that I bought an xB is in '08 I became disabled and couldn't use my pickup anymore ('00 Tundra).After reviewing all the diff. cars,I looked at what the people of other countries were driving what with the price of fuel was in their areas. I came up with a vehicle that doesn't cost a lot, gets good gas mileage,plenty of room,and is dependable. All of the facts came back to the xB.I haven't been let down yet.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
I was looking for something that was a balance of price, performance, and interior room.
I HATE sedans . . . esp, those just designed as "transportation." Sedans really give an awful interior space usage, which is something I needed/wanted as a family.
I was sold on either a Mini Clubman or a Mazda RX-8. Then, I test drove an HHR, PT Cruiser, and an xB just to make sure of that choice. I didn't like how either the HHR or PT drove. Then, I drove the xB. It surprised me on how decent it was "out of the box" with mediocre springs/shocks/struts and no rear sway. Knowing those were easy options, I ended up getting the B with plans to "fix" the suspension back to what it should have been originally.
The B nailed the price and room parameters, while it was surprisingly good in handling. The "problems" could be easily and quickly fixed.
The price difference compared to the only marginal improvement in handling and much smaller-where-it-matters interior of the Clubman just couldn't justify the 5K more that would have been spent.
I still kinda miss not getting the rotary (cause it drives SO well), but the room increase for practicality and getting better than 16MPG (ALL RX-8s end up averaging around 16, no matter how hard or gently you drive it, at least according to a large number of RX owners I talked to) made a reasonable justification/rational for getting the B rather than a true sports car.

Basically, it was a toss up between the B and the RX. The B won for practicality and economy, plus I was keeping the Miata. So, it was the B. If the Miata was going away, it would have been the RX.
I have never really and honestly regretted that decision!
Still have the Miata . . .

Examples of my "standards":
1.5 years-> 1985 Audi 5000 (grandmother borrowed, then killed it)
7.75 years-> 87 VW Vanagon Wolfsburg Ed (the one w/ backwards mid-seats and the table/light).
12 years driving a 90 Mazda Miata, started stock and ended up as a really good mountain twisties car.

I LOVED the practicality of the VW.
I LOVE the driving of the Miata.
Plus, both were "fun to drive," just very different.

Cars I drove and DIDN'T like:
97 Ford Taurus (wife's car received from parents for cheap)
96 Ford Crown Vic (inherited/bought from wife's grandfather-> what it was good at, I didn't care about, but what I did care about, it was sad)

Car drove, that I was more "neutral" on:
1995 Chrysler Cirrus (drove OK, but not great-> stayed in Miata as much as I could)

When the Crown Vic's engine went, I was finally able to get something that would haul more than 2, but actually drove well . . .
That was the B.

·
Registered
19 Posts
> Interior Space
> Toyota Engine
> Kanto Works Body as my Celica GTS
> Same engine as a Corolla or Matrix XRS, more space, younger looking, big list of aftermarket parts. Way cheaper than those other 2 cars.
> Liked the 1gen XB.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For me it was three things:

1. It looks different and unique.
2. No one I knew at the time had one.
and the biggest reason
3. I can fit in it, being 6'5", there are few cars I can fit in besides SUVs and pick-up trucks

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
When Toyota announced that they where bring the rukus out in Australia I knew I had to have one after spending time in the states and seeing the xb... I originally went into the dealership just to have a closer look and have a test drive... On that test drive though I knew I had to have one and picked mine up the following day it was the one sitting in the showroom....

·
Registered
86 Posts
For me it all started in 2004, the first time I saw an XB I was 10 or 11 and from that time on I was determined the XB was going to be my first car, from there I learned about Scions be unique and make it your own mentality which made me want one even more, so finally after years of dreaming about it, Last February two months before my 18th birthday I found my RS5.0 with the elusive 5Speed (the reason I say elusive is because there are two other RS5.0 XBs where I'm at and my RS5.0 is the only one with a 5speed) I love my B and can't believe that it's only 9 Days till the B and my 1 year anniversary.:biggrin:

·
Registered
781 Posts
For me it all started in 2004, the first time I saw an XB I was 10 or 11 and from that time on I was determined the XB was going to be my first car, from there I learned about Scions be unique and make it your own mentality which made me want one even more, so finally after years of dreaming about it, Last February two months before my 18th birthday I found my RS5.0 with the elusive 5Speed (the reason I say elusive is because there are two other RS5.0 XBs where I'm at and my RS5.0 is the only one with a 5speed) I love my B and can't believe that it's only 9 Days till the B and my 1 year anniversary.:biggrin:
Totally awesome dude, I'm sold :)!

·
Registered
372 Posts
for me was the rs 8.0 edition..
xD!
roomy interior...
only wish it had some more lights inside tho ex glove box and footwell light so i can have leds in :D

·
Registered
844 Posts
for me was the rs 8.0 edition..
xD!
roomy interior...
only wish it had some more lights inside tho ex glove box and footwell light so i can have leds in :D
That's the nice thing 'bout the xB. You can install those lites (LED'S). I added a cargo lite for about $25 in the head liner and it looks great,only took approx.20 min.'s to put in. I think I'll add footwell and glove box lites this summer (warmer temps). Also replaced the dome lite with the Oznium LED array.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Was sick of my ever failing gas thirsty 14 year old truck. I always liked hatches but I need room for music gear. I liked the old Xbs but thought they were too boxy. When the XB2 came out, I liked it. I was always a fan of the 90's civ hatch but wanted a new car. As a mechanic I trust Toyota so I went for it. Sexy little car and practical. I have bikes for when I want to have fun.

·
Registered
559 Posts
i needed to get out of my gas thirsty truck and payment. I saw it on the lot and asked about it, i fit amazing and im 6'8" and it sits like my truck so it didnt feel like i was laying down. The fact i can still carry all my camping equipment and whatnot like i did with my truck was a HUGE thing for me. Also no one i knew had one, i like being the different one. Everyone hated it when i got it. now they all love it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
- Made in Japan, reliability
- Look + customization
- The price for the accessories included !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Impulse buy

I was actually at the dealer to buy a new tC when I noticed the xB sitting there, I decided to test drive it and fell in love.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Basically . . .
A mini delivery truck/van that seats 5 and drives like a sports car (at least once tweeked a bit and the suspension is "fixed").
That's something I LOVE!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.