Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a tom tom nave unit for Christmas and a special short mount to put it on the dash. I planned on putting it in front of the steering wheel on the upper dash bit thought that was jsut hollering im here steal me. I used double face tape and tried it on the lower part directy above the wheel. You have to reach thru to program it but you should be sitting still anyway so it has not been a big problem. The tape is on a curved surface and it has decided not to hold after several weeks. I figured it a good place to stay so the next step is to drill a couple of holes and make it forever. The problem is I dont want to damage anything behind the dash drilling the hole. Has anyone pulled the dash apart to change gauge lights ect that can tell me what is directly above the steering wheel. I am hoping its just some duct work so the drill wont hurt anything. Thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What about sticky velcro?

It's available prepackaged and by-the-inch in some stores - it's available in any notions or crafts section of Wally World, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or Hancock's Fabrics.

DH has used it for signage on concrete block walls and it's held for years. I've hung artwork on tiled walls without problems too.

Be sure you don't pick up the sew-on type.

Hope this helps.
BC

·
Registered
5 Posts
i mounted at same area. i have a garmin with suction cup mount and used a disk (most come with unit) with industrial double stick tape on bottom side - disk available at Target (at least in my area LA, Ca.) or most GPS vendors online.
hope this helps.
halie

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
If you use the suction cup method, be sure to REMOVE the tell-tail marks on the glass!
Some thieves look for those to ID which vehicles to break into. If they see the suction-cup circle, they are likely to suspect some sort of device they can steal and resale.
If you mount it inside the dash plastic, be sure it can't be easily removed (most who want to break into vehicles are thieves of opportunity and look for an easy target). Better yet . . . make a cover that looks like something else worth far less . . .

(Sometimes, I can be just a bit paranoid . . . )

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can you guys post pics of your navi installation?
I am considering a navigation unit (since they're soooo cheap nowadays) but I don't know where to put it.

* FYI: It is no longer legal to install the navi unit on the center of your windshield. I believe it must be no more than a few inches away from either the bottom left corner of your windshield or the bottom right. *

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Whats in the dash behind the steering wheel?

I actually mounted it with heavy duty sticky tape and that worked for about a month. The problem is that it is curved where I want it and after the month it started faling off. The bottom was sticking since the weight was pushing it on but the top pulled away. BTW I got the 720 that has bluetooth for the phone and big screen and it was less than most of the small ones. It was reconditioned and sold at Radio shack .com. I sometimes have a problem with the phone connecting since all of your calls are on the speaker. You have to be carefull which ones you answer if you have people in the car...GRIN..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.