Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you put an opening message on your stereo yet? If so, what is it? Mine is "Kowabunga Dude" from the ninja turtle movies. I have changed it a few times, but the TMNT phrase has lasted the longest so far. If you have not done it yet, theres a place in the owners manual that explains how to do it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
I see 2 people that have read thier owner's manual! Good for you :)

Bob's.xB.Radio! <- just like that. (well, not that COLOR, it's black on orange just like everybody else)

What a pain.. It's impossible to program all that in one stinkin' minute. Just that little bit took me about 4 tries.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Hey yanges. what did you have to go through to program that in? Is it as complicated as the stock unit?

Looks neat :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
boblamb58 said:
Hey yanges. what did you have to go through to program that in? Is it as complicated as the stock unit?

Looks neat :)
thanks boblamb58!

it is probably the same as they are both Pioneer units - took a couple of minutes to get the hang of what to do is all and a few minutes to program...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Ok, I'll admit that I haven't completely read my manual yet so I don't know if I can put a message on my radio. I have the navigation system built into my radio. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I followed the instructions in the xB manual, you know, turn off, press buttons, start, all that goodness. I followed it to the letter, many many many times... it just doesn't work for me. Any suggestions from anyone? I was going to just ask the dealer next time I was in, but maybe you guys have an idear...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
toker4two0 said:
I followed the instructions in the xB manual, you know, turn off, press buttons, start, all that goodness. I followed it to the letter, many many many times... it just doesn't work for me. Any suggestions from anyone? I was going to just ask the dealer next time I was in, but maybe you guys have an idear...
I am guessing that, as good as you think you are following those instructions, you are just plain missing one important step, or somehow interpreting a step differently than it needs to be done.
Either that or, against the odds, you actually have a defective system.

You do have to do it quickly, as you only have one minute to input everything, but you can do it multiple times and pick up where you left off if you need to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
boblamb58 said:
I am guessing that, as good as you think you are following those instructions, you are just plain missing one important step, or somehow interpreting a step differently than it needs to be done.
Either that or, against the odds, you actually have a defective system.

You do have to do it quickly, as you only have one minute to input everything, but you can do it multiple times and pick up where you left off if you need to.
Hmmm... I waited a day in between attempts. You know, look at it with a fresh pair of eyes and all that. And I also had my wife interpret the directions and verify I was doing things right. I guess I'll just have to ask the dealer. You're right, it's prob something stupid that I'm missing somehow..... bah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
toker4two0 said:
boblamb58 said:
I am guessing that, as good as you think you are following those instructions, you are just plain missing one important step, or somehow interpreting a step differently than it needs to be done.
Either that or, against the odds, you actually have a defective system.

You do have to do it quickly, as you only have one minute to input everything, but you can do it multiple times and pick up where you left off if you need to.
Hmmm... I waited a day in between attempts. You know, look at it with a fresh pair of eyes and all that. And I also had my wife interpret the directions and verify I was doing things right. I guess I'll just have to ask the dealer. You're right, it's prob something stupid that I'm missing somehow..... bah
i believe the last step is pushing the button to save the text string - skip that and it reverts to original setting...

then turn multi-selector knob to select Open - customize mode should end and it should show your opening text when you start your xB...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
yanges said:
toker4two0 said:
boblamb58 said:
I am guessing that, as good as you think you are following those instructions, you are just plain missing one important step, or somehow interpreting a step differently than it needs to be done.
Either that or, against the odds, you actually have a defective system.

You do have to do it quickly, as you only have one minute to input everything, but you can do it multiple times and pick up where you left off if you need to.
Hmmm... I waited a day in between attempts. You know, look at it with a fresh pair of eyes and all that. And I also had my wife interpret the directions and verify I was doing things right. I guess I'll just have to ask the dealer. You're right, it's prob something stupid that I'm missing somehow..... bah
i believe the last step is pushing the button to save the text string - skip that and it reverts to original setting...

then turn multi-selector knob to select Open - customize mode should end and it should show your opening text when you start your xB...


Yea, but... I can't even get into the mode where you enter the text... :-(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
toker4two0 said:
I followed the instructions in the xB manual, you know, turn off, press buttons, start, all that goodness. I followed it to the letter, many many many times... it just doesn't work for me. Any suggestions from anyone? I was going to just ask the dealer next time I was in, but maybe you guys have an idear...

Er... what stereo unit we talking about here.. stock, premium or nav? I have the stock unit, yanges has the premium. I am pretty sure instructions for the 2 are different.. Bruce?

First off, let me say I absolutely do not think in any way at all you are dumb about this. I really want to help, and I hope I don't offend you by going over the steps here.


Here's what I did, just following along with the owner's manual:

So.. sitting in the driver seat.. turn the key to the accessory position (no dash lights, but the radio can play if it's turned on). Do not turn all the way to start. Turn on the radio. Turn the key to the off position (push in and turn back) Then you play twister. Push and hold the mute button, and while you have the button held in, turn the key to the accessory position. Release the mute button. You should then see a horizontal thin black line start to flash near the bottom of the screen. You gotta go quick, press AND HOLD preset button 1 (right there next to the Audio Cont button) then turn the key back to off. If you go too slow, nothing will happen and you'll have to do the previous again. If all goes right and you went fast enough, you will now be able to change the opening message.

So, now there's one whole mintue to program. It's not enough time to do more than a few letters, so the "get into programming mode" steps will need to be done more than once.


If you have successfully gotten into the program mode, you will see a flashing bar.. kinda like the flashing bar in a text program for the computer where you would enter letters. This is where you changes the letter/symbol. By pressing preset 3 you can scroll up through the alphabet by CAPITAL letters, then lower case, then numbers then symbols. You can scroll back if you pass then letter you want by pressing the 4 preset button. When you get the desired letter, push preset 6. You can set up to 16 characters, including spaces. If (when) you run out of time, you have to go back through the programming mode steps.

If you've done all that and stil have problems, make sure the dealer SHOWS YOU what to do. I hope you don't have a bad head unit, but ya never know.

Good luck :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
thanks boblamb........ when my wife gets home tonight I'm going to give it a whirl - following your instructions. I'll let you know what I find........
 
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Top