I have never bought rims/tires and I'm new to sizes
This may help you:
- go to www.rimsntires.com
- on the left side, click on Shop Rims by Car
- on the new page, enter your vehicle data (year, make, model)
- the OEM tire size will show up as 205/55-16. Click on Compare Sizes
- the new page is a tire/wheel comparison tool, it shows the OEM tire/wheel combination on the left, and you input your proposed tire/wheel combination on the right. The tool is very helpful when shopping for new wheels/tires, especially when changing wheel sizes and/or tire widths.
- the tool comments about speedometer error and attempts to determine fender and suspension clearance.
- AFAIK the tool will not comment if tires are too narrow/wide for the wheel selected, nor does it comment about tire or wheel availability (ie you may inadvertantly specify a non-existing size)