Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a dual tone perforated leather steering wheel cover from Wheelskins... I ended up having to do it twice - it wasn't tight enough the first time around... It turns out you can get them cheaper from drop shippers on eBay than from Wheelskins.com. You can; however, order free samples from Wheelskins.com to see what the material is like and see the actual colors for yourself. I went with the Black and Charcoal. I probably should have gone w/ all Black, but the Charcoal sample seemed to match the stock steering wheel cover a little better than the final product. Keep in mind that if you go w/ Perforated, you will have 4 seams to deal w/ instead of one w/ the solid leather. That's another reason I went w/ the two colors :)




Also note the $.99 eBay special cell phone holder that I modified to flush mount on the dash w/ my silver & black Nokia. That reduces the rattles from having my cell phone in one of the storage slots & I can see incoming calls easier if I have the music up ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should note that I don't really have any tips on a perfect steering wheel cover install. It comes w/ instructions & all I can say is that you want to pull the string tight & do it often. Each time you thread the needle, it will loosen up, so you want to retighten it before you move on. The places you want to make sure you tighten the most are after you do the loops around the front of the spokes. Even after doing it twice it's not 100% perfect, but much better than before.

Sure, it doesn't look as nice as the optional leather steering wheel from Scion, but I've gotten some compliments & the difference in price is huge!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Eric said:
I recently installed a dual tone perforated leather steering wheel cover from Wheelskins... I ended up having to do it twice - it wasn't tight enough the first time around... It turns out you can get them cheaper from drop shippers on eBay than from Wheelskins.com. You can; however, order free samples from Wheelskins.com to see what the material is like and see the actual colors for yourself. I went with the Black and Charcoal. I probably should have gone w/ all Black, but the Charcoal sample seemed to match the stock steering wheel cover a little better than the final product. Keep in mind that if you go w/ Perforated, you will have 4 seams to deal w/ instead of one w/ the solid leather. That's another reason I went w/ the two colors :)




Also note the $.99 eBay special cell phone holder that I modified to flush mount on the dash w/ my silver & black Nokia. That reduces the rattles from having my cell phone in one of the storage slots & I can see incoming calls easier if I have the music up ;)
i wish i lived near Sacramento Eric!

i would pay you to install my wheel cover! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Eric said:
LOL ...did you get one? They can be a pain! I'm still waiting to see if my wife wants one in the Camry...

Here are some resources that might help. :)

http://www.dccarcare.com/tipowk/tipowk19.html

http://www.jeepspeak.com/wheelskin.asp

http://www.stylintrucks.com/template_article.aspx?aliaspath=/Articles/Wheelskin_Install/Article
thanks for the resources Eric!

i am sure i will get some good tips there...

i have not picked one up yet - still deciding over the colors! what colors did you use? silver and ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
black & charcoal... the charcoal swatch seemed to match the steering wheel better than the actual cover. If I had to do it again, I'd go all black. I'd also be tempted to go w/out the europerf, so it would only have one seam. I didn't because the pictures of the solid leather looked too glossy, like vinyl or plastic and I figured if I had to have four seams, I might as well do two colors... it was a tough call. I debated it for a while ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Eric said:
black & charcoal... the charcoal swatch seemed to match the steering wheel better than the actual cover. If I had to do it again, I'd go all black. I'd also be tempted to go w/out the europerf, so it would only have one seam. I didn't because the pictures of the solid leather looked too glossy, like vinyl or plastic and I figured if I had to have four seams, I might as well do two colors... it was a tough call. I debated it for a while ;)
other than the extra seems, how is it driving with the europerf type cover? also, do you know if the wheels are the same size as the original xB? thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Eric said:
According to the size chart on wheelskins.com, no, they're different sizes...

Beginning Year Ending Year Model SIZE
2004 2007 tC 14 1/2 X 3 7/8
2004 2007 xA, xB 14 1/2 X 3 7/8
2008 2008 xB 14 5/8 X 4

http://www.wheelskins.com/size_chart.php?entry=sizes&manuf=Scion
i thought that would be the case - i have a black wheel cover i never tried to sew on my original xB but i know it will not stretch to fit the new wheel - it was really hard to pull over the old xB'x steering wheel...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Eric said:
I recently installed a dual tone perforated leather steering wheel cover from Wheelskins... I ended up having to do it twice - it wasn't tight enough the first time around... It turns out you can get them cheaper from drop shippers on eBay than from Wheelskins.com. You can; however, order free samples from Wheelskins.com to see what the material is like and see the actual colors for yourself. I went with the Black and Charcoal. I probably should have gone w/ all Black, but the Charcoal sample seemed to match the stock steering wheel cover a little better than the final product. Keep in mind that if you go w/ Perforated, you will have 4 seams to deal w/ instead of one w/ the solid leather. That's another reason I went w/ the two colors :)




Also note the $.99 eBay special cell phone holder that I modified to flush mount on the dash w/ my silver & black Nokia. That reduces the rattles from having my cell phone in one of the storage slots & I can see incoming calls easier if I have the music up ;)
hey Eric

now that you have had the wheelskin on for a while, how do you like the perforated version?

i am looking at getting one and can not decide which version to order - i like the smooth look but the perf'd one might be cooler [temperature wise]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Ya know, I was pondering this very issue today, what to get to cover the steering wheel. I don't know if you have noticed, but on cold days, the steering wheel is cold as $%^&. And it seems to take forever to warm up.

My wife got me a fuzzy one for Christmas, but it was ever so slightly too big, which made it a bit loose. I then remembered I had one many moons ago in one of my cars, a leather wrap-around with threading. Kinda like the wheelskin one, but since it was so long ago it was a generic brand.. I think it was threaded with plastic thread. I did a small bit of looking today, and then I thought, what about bicycle handlebar tape? I have not found any yet, but I also have not looked in an actual bicycle shop either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
boblamb58 said:
Ya know, I was pondering this very issue today, what to get to cover the steering wheel. I don't know if you have noticed, but on cold days, the steering wheel is cold as $%^&. And it seems to take forever to warm up.

My wife got me a fuzzy one for Christmas, but it was ever so slightly too big, which made it a bit loose. I then remembered I had one many moons ago in one of my cars, a leather wrap-around with threading. Kinda like the wheelskin one, but since it was so long ago it was a generic brand.. I think it was threaded with plastic thread. I did a small bit of looking today, and then I thought, what about bicycle handlebar tape? I have not found any yet, but I also have not looked in an actual bicycle shop either.
i found my old leather type cover that is black w/ red dragon on it and pretty comfortable - it is nice but a little large compared to wheelskin type cover - my only concern is having to sew it on :confused:

here are a few pics of the dragon cover:





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,202 Posts
I was going to but one of those for my Jetta but never got around to it. Was going to get it in red and black. I think it looks pretty good. Plus I bet it will look better in the summer when the heat makes it shape up to the wheel better.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top