Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok my question isn't exactly that simple but you can guess what I'm after. If your wheel+tire diameter stays the same, in general, is it lighter to have bigger tires and smaller wheels, or bigger wheels and smaller tires. This is all else being equal (same type of wheels and tires etc.).

People have been posting that the bigger wheel diameter could be heavier. Are the OEM 17" and 18" heavier than other wheels?

It sounds like from what I've read that aftermarket wheels are generally lighter than the steelies, right? Does anybody know what the stock steelies weigh by themselves? Some numbers would be great.

I'd like to get new wheels sometime soon and if 16"s are lighter then that's just another reason for me to save money and not change my size. But I'd love to know a little more about this. Thanks for comments in advance!!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
As bigger wheels weigh more than smaller ones AND smaller profile tires tend to be heavier than ones with the same overall diameter due to sidewall strengthening (just look at a tire manufacturer's own spec chart).
Therefore, a smaller rim and higher profile tire of a given model of each is lighter. That said, there are lighter and heavier rims and tires for any given size. So, look at each combo separately.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I should be happy sticking with 16" then and not having to buy another set of tires. Now the question is, when I get new wheels, will they be lighter then what I have now (original). According to this, yes they would be.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Again, depends ENTIRELY on which specific rims and tires.
The stock steels aren't actually that bad. Many alloys are equal to (in the same weight ballpark) or even heavier than them. The steels are approx. 20-22 pounds (haven't seen anyone actually weigh them) and the tires are in the same ballpark. Some pretty alloys are surprisingly heavy, esp. chromed ones. My present ones are still 17.5, which isn't that much less than the steels. Finding 16s much under 15 pounds gets expensive quick.
The xB isn't that affected by differences in wheel weight as others are, like a Mazda MX-5 Miata.

Also, the biggest mistake most folks make when getting huge rims and tires is not upgrading their brakes to match. Donks are great examples, as most seem to still have their stock brakes with 24" rims. That's why the brakes have such a hard time making Donks stop. The xB's breaks are actually overkill with 16s. They are designed for heavier/larger rims from the start. The 16s are just the smallest rim that will fit (at least without massive spacers, as one member got 15" NASCAR rims on his). If you look closely at 16s on an xB, you'll see how closely the caliper clears the rim inner edge.
An xB with stock steels or lighter can stop scary fast if you hit the brakes hard enough to kick in the ABS.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a set of rims years ago that we're garunteed 7.5kgs. Rota a wheel manufactor garuntee's there 18s are 8kgs.

It's abit of a catch 22 some manufactor's make strong wheels that don't break if hit a pothole & others make "lighter" rims that bend if you breathe on them.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
My Rota slipstreams cracked, on the inside lip, in less than a year. They blame me. I replaced them with Tenzo R Meisters that were on a great sale by FastScions.
Rotas have rather . . . inconsistent . . . quality.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! I had the general ideas but the info has been very helpful for this beginner.

Donks are great examples, as most seem to still have their stock brakes with 24" rims. That's why the brakes have such a hard time making Donks stop.
LOL had to look that one up. Plenty of that around here - rented wheels probably worth more than the car. But you don't have to worry about me Donking it up.

The xB's breaks are actually overkill with 16s. They are designed for heavier/larger rims from the start. The 16s are just the smallest rim that will fit (at least without massive spacers, as one member got 15" NASCAR rims on his). If you look closely at 16s on an xB, you'll see how closely the caliper clears the rim inner edge.
An xB with stock steels or lighter can stop scary fast if you hit the brakes hard enough to kick in the ABS.
Also great to know. I noticed on my brand new xb the brakes are pretty awesome. They also suck down harder on their own as you get close to stopping so I have to let off the brake a little to not stop too sharply. Pretty awesome the xB is only 3000 pounds also. My Grand Prix had 500 more pounds on it.

Generally speaking, taller rims result in greater wheel inertia resulting in lesser engine performance as well as lesser ride comfort. The pro is they tend to look cool :)!
Understood! I can definitely agree with that. So I might be going against looks here a bit in favor of saving $, performance, and comfort.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's abit of a catch 22 some manufactor's make strong wheels that don't break if hit a pothole & others make "lighter" rims that bend if you breathe on them.
Good to know. Hopefully I'm pretty gentle on wheels. What recourse do you have if your rim bends or something? What do warranties cover? Just the finish?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.