Scion XB Forum banner

Which Mods will make MPG better?

18K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Aljay 
#1 ·
Just want to know if any of you guys where modifying your xB to make the mpg better? To be more specific, TRD cold air intake and the TRD exhuast system. What do you guys think?

#2 ·
Most mods especially to the engine don't increase gas mileage. That is because more HP means more gas. If you allow more air into the engine the computer sees this and adds more gas to keep the fuel air ratio where it has been programed to. You can free up the engine and maybe get a little more MPG such as changing the pulleys but after figuring in the cost of the mod parts and the small MPG increase it may not pay for itself for a long time. Other than keeping the front end properly aligned, upping the tire pressure a little, the biggest factor is your driving habits. In the June 2008 issue of Consumer Reports page 46 they give some things that will help. Listed are, Driving at a moderate speed, Drive smoothly, Reduce unnecessary drag, Don't use premium gas unless your car needs it, Minimize driving with a cold engine, Keep tires properly inflated, Buy tires with lower rolling resistance, and Avoid long periods of idling. They went on to say that a myth is a dirty air filter will lower gas MPG. This was true in the old days. Now the computer just reduces the gas amount to compensate for the less air. Noted in the section under driving at a moderate speed is this. Driving a Camry at 55mph vs 65mph saved 5MPG and driving 55mph vs 75mph saved 10MPG. I think this was done with a 2006 Camry which has a smaller engine but our cars should see the same kinds of gains. I have been doing this for a while and I can see much improvement in my gas mileage.
Al

#3 ·
we installed an injen cold air intake and a magnaflow exhast system on our 05 tC and we've been getting an extra 3 miles to the gallon...not bad. It probably won't pay for itself in the long run, but at lease it improved instead of getting worse. We haven't made any modifications to the xB yet.

#5 ·
I just did the TRD intake..... and I noticed an extra 4MPG driving on the freeway......... :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Bump!

I really want the TRD CAI....but need an excuse to get it other than it making my engine sound nice. If it really does up the MPG, I may get one.

I researched this about a year ago...and i think i found that it does increase mileage a little bit...but that cancels out w/ the amout of Revvin you'll do (wasting gas) just to hear the engine roar.

Testimony guys?

#8 ·
I have the INJEN CAI and it may or may not add MPG. I will never know, because it sounds so good when I put my foot in it..................IM getting around 225 a tank wich suxs, so I changed my habits for 1 tank anf got like 280 so driving habits are a must in adding MPG...

#9 ·
with the exception of interstate driving i drive SUPER slow and coast almost all the time. i get 300+ a tank.

Do you have an upgraded exhaust, or is this amazing new sound solely from the CAI?

#10 ·
the way to get the best miles per gallon, is to take out your engine, and your floorboards, and make your car foot-powered, like the Flintstones.

#11 ·
just make sure you've got these on:

#13 ·
Add masts, rigging, and sails and make it wind powered . . .

#15 ·
K&N drop in, modded lid, silencer removed and plugged with PVC plug, snorkle shortened. I get 31 mpg with these mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.