Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all,
I just picked up my new Xb last Saturday. Love the bread box. However, I am experiencing a bad case of the whirlybird effect. The whirlybird effect is when you roll down your window going down the interstate and you get the affect of a whoof, whoof, whoofing sound. If any of you have been in a helicopter, you know what I'm talking about. So for those you you have experienced it, are there any methods on how to stop it, such as installing window deflectors around the windows or something? Thanks!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Congratulations, I'm sure you will enjoy your xb.

Usually when driving at interstate speeds it is more efficient (gas mileage) to drive with the windows up, rather than down. Now, with that being said, I find that if I have the front window/s down the back window needs to be down a couple of inches and that annoying noise goes away.

Give it a try and see if you hear/feel a difference.

Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase. Do you have more than 1 window down when you are driving? if you only have the 1 window down....crack at least 1 more and that should help some. If I am on the highway I normally have the A/C on to conserve on gas. I well tell you one thing though....with the windows up on a clear non-breezy day the xB flies down the highway. I was going 96mph and did not even realize it. Felt like I was floating on air.

·
Registered
783 Posts
i drive with all my windows down, at all times, except through rain, obviously, and on the interstate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about!! I though I was the only one.

This happens to me when I drive on the freeway with only the back windows down. I found that if I crack the front window just a bit the sound goes away.

·
Registered
783 Posts
once, i was driving down the interstate, and i rolled my front windows down, and it almost shook my overhead console off.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
yep, I get that too (only when I'm in the passenger seat cuz I keep the windows up when I drive usually) and DH thinks it is hilarious to do this to me. I must be just the right height, cuz it really hurts my ears, like it is hitting my eardrums or something!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have vent visors and it does not solve the problem. I believe the effect has something to do with the pressure or air flow in the vehicle when you only have one window slightly open. cracking another window equalizes the air flow throughout the vehicle. I have noticed this in many cars. My maxima I had before the XB used to do the same thing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
spiderxB said:
I have vent visors and it does not solve the problem. I believe the effect has something to do with the pressure or air flow in the vehicle when you only have one window slightly open. cracking another window equalizes the air flow throughout the vehicle. I have noticed this in many cars. My maxima I had before the XB used to do the same thing.
Darn I thought that would at least help a little. What about when it rains? Even when I have my window just cracked a bit rain just drops straight in on my armrest and window controls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like to drive with the back windows half way down so my black lab can stick his head out, but the whirlybird effect is overwhelming. I put the drivers window down a couple of inches and that helps, but you would have thought Toyota would have addressed this problem before they put it in the showroom. I guess we just have to live with it. I'll take this into consideration when I buy my next car.[/b]

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
It isn't a "problem," just a matter of physics and on many, many vehicles. My old VW Bus was FAR worse.

·
Registered
474 Posts
SkyXB said:
I like to drive with the back windows half way down so my black lab can stick his head out, but the whirlybird effect is overwhelming. I put the drivers window down a couple of inches and that helps, but you would have thought Toyota would have addressed this problem before they put it in the showroom. I guess we just have to live with it. I'll take this into consideration when I buy my next car.[/b]
Heck, if that is the only problem with the xB....keep the Lab's head in the A/C he will be safer for it as well! But, who knows maybe Toyota will come up with an answer to the problem on the xB3...after all there are a lot of folks that have dogs that like to stick their heads out the window....and I'm sure Toyota pays someone to read our forum.

Brewski

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.