Scion XB Forum banner

Will Scion follow Toyota's TSB release for oil consumption?

100K views 154 replies 47 participants last post by  hikingmike 
#1 ·
I have 46K miles on my xB in four years. It's always used a little oil, but more so as the miles have gone by. Two months ago I changed my oil and topped it off to the full mark. 1600 miles later, I check it and had to add 3/4 quart of oil to bring it back to the full mark. I know the manual states this is within the normal limit (I believe it states 1qt/600 miles); still crazy IMO.

So after checking around for any similar issues I found that Toyota released
T-SB-0094-11 on Nov 11th, 2011:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Some 2006 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine may exhibit engine oil consumption. The piston assembly has been changed to minimize oil consumption. Use the following repair procedure to address this condition."

YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
2007 – 2011 Camry HV, Engine(s): 2AZ, VDS(s): BB3EK, BB46K
2007 – 2009 Camry, Engine(s): 2AZ, VDS(s): BE46K
2009 Corolla, Engine(s): 2AZ, VDS(s): BE40E
2009 Matrix, Engine(s): 2AZ, VDS(s): GE40E, KE40E, LE40E
2006 – 2008 RAV4, Engine(s): 2AZ, VDS(s): BD31V, BD32V, BD33V, BD34V, BD35V, ZD31V, ZD32V, ZD33V, ZD34V, ZD35V
2007 – 2008 Solara, Engine(s): 2AZ, VDS(s): CE30P

Inspection Procedure
NOTE
In some cases, a P030# (cylinder # misfire detected) DTC may also be set as a result of oil consumption.
Perform an oil consumption test to determine the consumption rate.
1. Confirm the engine oil level is full.
2. Mark the oil dipstick to indicate the current level.
3. Replace the oil dipstick.
4. Mark the oil dipstick, oil drain plug, and oil fill cap to prevent/indicate tampering during the test.
HINT
Use tape, sealer, cable ties, or equivalent to mark the oil dipstick, oil drain plug, and oil fill cap.
5. Advise the customer to drive the vehicle normally for 1,200 miles and return for inspection.
6. Determine the quantity of oil that was consumed in 1,200 miles.
Was the oil level more than 1 quart low after 1,200 miles of normal driving?

YES — Go to the Repair Procedure.

NO — This TSB does NOT apply. Warranty guideline for acceptable oil consumption is 1 quart per 1,200 miles of operation. No warranty claim should be filed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It only lists Toyota models, but it should stand to reason that Scions with the same 4cyl engine (2AZ-FE) would be susceptible to the same issue.​

Has anyone heard or received anything from Scion regarding an oil consumption TSB?​

See less See more
#2 ·
I realize my oil consumption wouldn't pass their test of 1qt/1200miles. The TSB only covers you within 5yr/60k miles from your "in-service" date. It would be a little peace of mind to know this could be resolved if my oil consumption worsens within the next year. While I love my xB, I've never owned a car that consumed this much oil.

#4 ·
I have a 2008 xB and I just added 1/3 qt. since the last oil change 1200 miles ago. That would be 1 qt. for 3600 miles if all stays the same. I filled up a qt. bottle with oil to see how many miles it takes to use a qt.

I've never had a car use oil, this one is the first for me.

I use Mobil 1, 5/20.

#6 ·
This is VERY useful into. I'll check my oil in a few more miles to see what it's doing. Honestly, I haven't been testing it like I should . . .

#10 ·
I'm wondering, does this extra consumption affect the cat. converters, spark plugs, or Ox sensors?

#13 ·
It very well may. When it gets a little warmer outside this weekend I plan to check my plugs to see if they're fouled and/or if they look uniform across all four cyclinders. While I'm at it, I'd like to check if the compression of each cylinder is up to spec (I guess I'll call autozone to see if they loan that tool out).

#16 ·
hbgti, thanks for the read on the fix, but I wouldn't trust that type of a repair to the tech's working at my Scion dealer. From what I've read on here and other forums not many people feel comfortable taking their Scions in for routine service, ie oil changes, they messed up 2 oil changes on my xB and I've haven't been back.

I will probably just use a 5/30 syn oil and see how that works for my next oil change.

By the time Scion gets around to doing something about this problem most of the 08/09 xB's will be well over 100k and won't fall into their recall fix.

Again, thanks for the information!

#17 ·
I agree this isn't a simple TSB for the techs (which is why Toyota may have waited so long to release it).

I also contend that many of the current Toyota owners that this may affect are already over their 60K mile limit.

Maybe if Toyota gets enough complaints, they may extend the TSB to 100K for Toyotas/Scions (wishful thinking?).

#18 ·
The TSB states (more than a qt. in 1200 miles) is a far cry from where you and I are at right now, so I would think for us to use that much oil in that amount of miles we would be at or over 100k. I would also believe that you would have to prove that you changed your oil every 5k even though it looks like it isn't a problem with the lack of changing the oil as bad parts/workmanship on Toyota's part.

I believe the better solution would be just replace the engines in question with quality rebuilt engines from a manufacturer that can handle this type of work, then send the old engine back to be remanufactured for install in the next vehicle that this TSB covers.

Give a 12 month/12k warranty on the rebuild.

Tech's that rebuild engines daily would be better equipped and done to higher standard.

#22 ·
#23 ·
This is so typical!! Of course, if it falls within the warranty period we will fix it!!!! There is a problem and Toyota know it or they wouldn't have made the TSB! Is it a bad batch of piston oil rings?, did the robot have a bad day and machined something wrong?

Some people mentioned that they received a recall letter about bad ignition coils, I haven't received that letter, but they say the recall will go until 10/2014 if I remember right. Now that is a time not a mileage warrenty so why not make the same claim for this and other problems? Any readers received this recall letter?

Same thing for the engine wiring harness on some xB's, you have to be within a certain mile/time frame. If the parts aren't made right replace them if they fail or before would be better. This is getting out of hand and won't sit well when shopping for a new replacement vehicle.

I wonder how many people here check their oil level between oil changes? The same goes for tire pressure.

#24 ·
I have received the Ignition Coil Recall letter. Expires on October 31, 2014

#25 ·
I got my ignition recall letter TODAY, so they are still coming out.

#26 ·
I just came across this thread b/c I was about to ask this very question about oil consumption. I purchased a used 08' scion with 50K miles on in last August. It never crossed my mind to check for oil consumption. I've not heard of that before with Toyota engines. I am also a ISUZU owner, and they do tend to use oil, so I check it routinely. But, I had not checked my Scion until a couple of weeks ago just prior to taking a road trip. I checked it right after the oil/lube shop replaced it about 3K miles ago and found the level to be down about 3/4 of a qt. That surprised me initially. I topped it off before taking the 1K mile trip and checked again when I got back home. It was down about 1/4 of a qt. again. My engine has................oh yeah, 61K miles on it so I just went over the powertrain warranty. But, I'm not that concerned with this level of oil consumption. I now know to keep an eye on it and top off as necessary. The bad thing..........its consuming Mobil 1 oil and that stuff ain't cheap.

I also have a VIN that falls under the coil pack recall notice. I learned that here as well and called the dealer about it. They said just drop by and its a quick replacement, no appointment necessary. So, I plan to do that in the near future.

One other thing to mention. On my 1K road trip I averaged about 32 mpg shown by the computer, but it doesn't calculate out to that much when dividing the miles by the gallons consumed. It comes in lower at about 29-30 mpg. This was my first road trip of any length and I was traveling interstate roads at about 68 mph. Still respectable mileage for this car.

#27 ·
motor shot due to unawareness of oils consumption

I bought my Scion in October 2011 thru a private owner. Did not have an owners manual. Had 2 oil changes since. The 2nd lube joint set my sticker for 8,000 mi. saying since it had synthetic oil I didn't need to change it any sooner. Being the car only had 50,000 mi. and me being a woman who didn't know any better and trusted their advice, I didn't check the oil. Needless to say, now that my car ran dry and the motor is about to blow......... Am wondering if anyone knows of any recalls or class action lawsuits being pursued over this "extreme oil consumption" issue..
thanks in advance for your help!
Diane

#28 ·
I'm sorry to hear you are having such a major problem with your xB.

What year is your xB? How many miles does it have and how many miles since the last oil change? Are you SURE the oil was consumed and wasn't lost due to a leak?

Earlier in the thread there is a post by Trevor with this link to an article from ScionLife. This says it is from an actual Toyota/Scion rep. and that they are covering it to 60 months/60,000 miles.

I would probably call Scion directly. I know when I had issues with the transmission on our Honda minivan, Honda corporate was much more accommodating than the local dealership.

Scion Customer Service
Toyota Motor Sales
1-866-707-2466

#29 ·
My Scion is a 2008. It has 57,000 miles. Definitely not an oil leak. Not a spot anywhere. After searching several threads, I see that it is most assuredly from oil consumption. Went to the dealership today. Also called Scion directly and they started a case#. Warranty expired last month.. Hoping to get this issue resolved amicably. I've owned 3 toyota vehicles prior to Scion and trusted their name and reputation confidently.. Now, as my research begins, I see not only is this car a lemon, but a dangerous one at that.. Pretty upset right now.. Ready to begin whatever it takes to make them do the right thing, as well as protect lives. Some of the defects on this particular Scion have caused accidents due to faulty steering and brake issues.. I have children and am thankful I didn't have some of the issues I've seen over and over again on these threads...

#30 ·
i empathize with you having to go through this ordeal. seems like an uphill battle with no warranty. keep the pressure on! i'm hoping that toyota/scion will do the right thing.

and please share your outcome with us.

#31 ·
Diane, one of the reasons I traded in my 2009 bsp with 56k on it for a 2008 csm with 13k was the amount of steering and braking issues with it. First my steering wheel would make a crunching noise when turned from lock to lock. That required a trip to the dealer where they replaced the intermediate steering shaft. After that repair, my steering felt loose and unresponsive. That resulted in replacing everything from the steering wheel down. Steering was still funny feeling but Toyota said it was normal. A few months after that I developed a noise in the brakes/suspension, a creaking/crunching noise when braking or on hard acceleration from a stop. Left my xB with them for 3 days and all they could come up with was could not duplicate. I personally had the drive the shop foreman around for them to replicate the noise, then they tell me its pad/shim shifting. I know that there was something majorly wrong. I've been processing Lexus warranty claims for 3 years and worked as a tech at a Toyota dealer before that. I was appauled with the answer they gave me, knowing my background. I felt unsafe with the car so I just traded it for different xB. I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

#33 ·
Hotbox- sorry for all the trouble you had. So glad you were able to get another car though. Being that you're familiar with claims and your prior experience as a tech, any advice or help would be appreciated. If there are any class action suits out there, I may want to join in or possibly start my own. Just beginning the process here, but you know what they say about a woman scorned.. :)

Trevor- I went onto the NHTSA (Nat'l Highway Traffic Safety Admin.) to check on recalls for the Scion. Once there, I found several complaints regarding the steering wheel being faulty. Also read complaints about defective brake systems, along with a few other issues. These stood out to me the most because of the dangers involved. Several car accidents due to car accelerating and unable to brake. One person crashed into a snow pile, another hit a vehicle, another spun three times before hitting a guardrail. There are more stories at that website if you'd like to read them.

There have also been cases of these cars catching on fire due to all of the electrical issues.
2 days ago my desire was to get my car repaired or replaced in a professional manner. Today, I don't feel comfortable with the thought of repairing my car and then reselling it to someone who may get into a car accident and get seriously injured or worse..

Just taking one day at a time and one piece of information a time and moving forward which will possibly include a class action lawsuit. Not sure yet..
If you have any info or resources you want to share with me that can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

#37 ·
Thanks, but I have absolutely no serious misbehaviors with my '08 xB. I can't help but suspect something else is going on that casts it in a bad light. However, it's appropriate to be aware of potential problem areas and to take preventative steps (a lot cheaper than paying the dealer). Still, if one is basically at the mercy of the dealer, then all bets are off. It's important to me to be able to resolve at least most issues myself -- money being a factor :(!

#34 ·
The only recall that comes to mind is the brake pedal/floor mat recall. I don't think scions were affected by this, but I still process the claims on Lexus vehicles every now and then and a friend of mine has a 2009 corolla that had that recall on it. The only recall ever done to my xB was some ignition coil recall that could possibly trigger a check engine light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.