Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my Wink mirror. From reading here and the other forums, it sounds like the window mount causing too much vibration and that it's best to drill in into the headliner support. Will I just have to remove the visors to measure how far back the support is or will the entire headliner have to come out? Has anyone done a DIY with pictures for this install?

· Registered
783 Posts
My roommate put a wink in his Integra and he took his visors off, and installed it in the holes where the visors were.

· Registered
133 Posts
I just ordered my Wink mirror. From reading here and the other forums, it sounds like the window mount causing too much vibration and that it's best to drill in into the headliner support. Will I just have to remove the visors to measure how far back the support is or will the entire headliner have to come out? Has anyone done a DIY with pictures for this install?
I had one in a 280 Z and after you get use to them they are sweet. But was a PIA to mount & see red lights as you have to look over or under the mirror or look at the lights mounted on the side pole. I had to remove the visors, pull the headliner back to make sure not to go thru the roof. The vibration was crazy so I had a friend weld up stiffer end brackets also glued & screwed .125" wall alloy plate across the back side of the mirror. Before mounting the alloy plate I had it polished buy a shop.

If you could find a way to have a mounting point in the center that would cut the vibration.

AZ

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could ask a school bus driver how they installed theirs...

(sorry, just don't get this trend/mod but to each their own)
I bought the Scion because I got rear-ended and my can got totaled on December 30, 2011. The neck injury still makes it pretty painful to turn and check my blind spots, so after seeing this I was ecstatic!

The Integra isn't as wide, so the mounting brackets that come with the Wink can be installed properly (where the mirrors attach). The xB is too wide for this to work.

I guess I could screw it into the headliner support AND glue a window mount. This is going to be a bigger PITA than I'd hoped.

· Registered
46 Posts
since Im getting fender mirrors I might have to get a wink though just so I can see everything.
When you do these, I would like a write up because I had a similar idea after seeing them on a few first gens.

Back to the wink mirror. When I originally installed mine to the window, it never lasted more then a week. I finally gave in and screwed it into the headliner.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
What about old, old-school style:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.