Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've had some interest on my wink mirror and how I installed it to keep the visors functional (well, mostly functional anyway). Here's some pics I took tonight out in the garage real quick that pretty much explain the install as well.

Keep in mind my wink mirror has been used for several years in several different vehicles so it's started to warp and bow a little in the middle. I need a new one but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

As you can see in the pics, I only used 1 of 2 screws for each side. I didn't feel I needed to drill any additional holes in my roof when this would be very sufficient, especially for the xB2 as the mirror shouldn't be in any danger of getting bumped or ripped down. My VW GTI was a different story :confused:.

Fully ensemble your wink mirror with all brackets as if you are installing it to the car.

Measure up your mirror (having a friend help to hold it up helps a lot) to be even on both sides and bring the mirror with the top brackets just shy of touching your visors as you can see in the picture above (touching the visors is fine too like mine, but not much or your visors won't clip into place) and mark your holes for drilling with a pencil. I used the holes furthest away from the windshield. Again, I only used one hole on each side.

Set the wink mirror aside for now. Unclip your visors and swivel them out of the way so you can clearly see what you are doing and carefully drill your holes according to your pencil marks (You will apply slight pressure until the drill bit punches through the roof. It might freak you out, but that's good as it will cause you to immediately pull the drill back down LOL. Start with a small drill bit (sorry can't remember what size I used at the time) and go from there.

Once you have your holes drilled, you can now install your mirror! That's pretty much it.

If you don't feel you need your visors, you can eliminate almost all of the shaking but adjusting your mirror up and snug against the visors. I personally like to still be able to use the visors so I have mine dropped slightly down and not touching the visors as you can see the pics. My wife appreciates this too as she is a bit shorter than me and no visors can be brutal. Here's a pic showing the visor still being functional.

Here's a few more pics of the finished product. Hope this helps for anyone wondering how to install. Let me know if I can help out in any way!

- Mike

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea I have had my wink mirror glued to the windshield. I've never had any issues or vibrations problems or it ever getting in my way. Or the way of my visors. Even with my subs hitting hard I've never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Awesome!
Are the screws just like set screws? They thread themselves in and don't fall out?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I have had my wink mirror glued to the windshield. I've never had any issues or vibrations problems or it ever getting in my way. Or the way of my visors. Even with my subs hitting hard I've never had an issue.
I tried the windshield mount twice in my 06 xB and no luck for me. Fell off the windshield both times, even when following the instructions. That's when I decided to drill.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
If it wasn't for their function in holding up the roof and so forth, I'd remove the visors completely. My Miata hasn't had them in well over a decade.

Whenever I get around to recovering the headliner, I may leave them off along with all the related holes.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, that looks like the one! If you wanted to paint match like I did, I went to my local auto parts store that also mixed paint and gave them my paint code when I had my RS5. For about $30, they were able to mix the exact Gold Rush Mica in a spray can for me so that I could paint the wink mirror. They did the same thing for my 20th AE GTI in Imola yellow. My wink mirror has been painted about 3 or 4 times now LOL.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
...carefully drill your holes according to your pencil marks (You will apply slight pressure until the drill bit punches through the roof. It might freak you out, but that's good as it will cause you to immediately pull the drill back down LOL. Start with a small drill bit (sorry can't remember what size I used at the time) and go from there.
If you're not careful when drilling you can break suddenly thru the inner sheet metal and unintentionally put a dent into your roof (on the outside skin, where it shows!) Starting with very small drill bits help reduce the tendency to break thru suddenly, and the "slight pressure...immediately pull back down" is a good intention, but it doesn't always work. Trust me, I know...and all those good intentions mean nothing when you end up with a "pimple" on your roof!

Instead I suggest a drill stop. The cheapest method is to wind some tape around the drill bit to limit your drill depth. A better method is to cut a piece of tubing (metal, plastic, or even vinyl tubing) to the proper length and put it over your drill bit.

A little precaution can save a lot of anguish! Take it from someone who has been there...

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
What are the advantages of a Wink for a vehicle with side mirrors?

I know they are used on race cars, but what about on the street? Does the reduction in windshield view affect seeing lights or the like?
Or is that just a concern b/c I'm 6'2" and usually don't even use visors?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're not careful when drilling you can break suddenly thru the inner sheet metal and unintentionally put a dent into your roof (on the outside skin, where it shows!) Starting with very small drill bits help reduce the tendency to break thru suddenly, and the "slight pressure...immediately pull back down" is a good intention, but it doesn't always work. Trust me, I know...and all those good intentions mean nothing when you end up with a "pimple" on your roof!

Instead I suggest a drill stop. The cheapest method is to wind some tape around the drill bit to limit your drill depth. A better method is to cut a piece of tubing (metal, plastic, or even vinyl tubing) to the proper length and put it over your drill bit.

A little precaution can save a lot of anguish! Take it from someone who has been there...
EXCELLENT SUGGESTION!! A drill stop should definately be used! I was able to avoid hitting my roof when installing on my cars and my friend's car, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Thank you BrickPig for mentioning this! :cheers:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What are the advantages of a Wink for a vehicle with side mirrors?

I know they are used on race cars, but what about on the street? Does the reduction in windshield view affect seeing lights or the like?
Or is that just a concern b/c I'm 6'2" and usually don't even use visors?
I personally love my wink for helping with blind spots. I still check my blind spots but it still gives a slight piece of mind especially in the xB2. On top of having a great field of vision of what's behind you, I also really like the cosmetic aspect of the mirror. Visually from outside of the vehicle, you can add even more personalization to the car, which I think it great.

Your concern about the reduction in the windshield will definately come into play for your height. I'm 5'11" and I find myself looking under the mirror when I'm first in line at a stoplight, checking to see when it's green. If you sit way back in your seat like my buddy does who is about 6'2", he doesn't have a problem at all. But I also don't like feeling like I'm laying on my back when I'm driving like he does LOL.

I think it's worth looking into, especially for under $40. Paint it, sticker bomb it, whatever. :p

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Mine shivers as I drive.
Does yours?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mine shivers as I drive.
Does yours?
Did you mount yours exactly how Meeko posted? I've been meaning to follow this DIY for weeks now, curious how much it rattles after mounting it like this.

Damaged can you post some pics??

also how much of the stock mirror is able to be removed, is the mark where it was an eyesore when the wink mirror is installed?

thanks

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I did, except it was still loose on the drivers side roof so I put in both screws on that side.
I haven't tried snugging it up to the visors to stop the shaking but I will tomorrow. The shivering isn't horrible just a little bit.
There is a black piece that seems to be like inside my windshield that won't come off as I can't feel it through the glass but I never notice it.
You can see it in meekos pics with the silver piece still attached.the silver piece is glued and unfortunately snapped right off the windshield the moment I touched my mirror to remove so I only have the black until I re glue the silver piece back on

Sorry, this is the only picture I have until it lightens up tomorrow.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks good Damaged!! And love the placement of your "xB" emblem on your dash. Awesome!

The mirror will shiver a bit but I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me at all. It did at first, but you will get used to it. If it does bother you, you can push the mirror up against the visors and that should help out a lot. My buddy didn't like the shaking and that did the trick on his. I keep mine down a bit so I can still use the visors, well, so my wife can still use the visors :p

I left the black piece from the mirror on as it's not really noticed anyway. My other buddy actually just took the mirror portion off, leaving the arm it was attached too so he can still hang some stuff from there.

I love my wink mirror and I plan on picking up another one to replace this old one that is starting to sag. Lasted a few years though so that's pretty good!

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Thanks Mike.
And the xb badge was there when I got it. Never really noticed that it shouldn't be there until now haha
I thought they all had them there, I guess I don't pay enough attention lol.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks Mike.
And the xb badge was there when I got it. Never really noticed that it shouldn't be there until now haha
I thought they all had them there, I guess I don't pay enough attention lol.
Would look awesome with the emblem painted gold rush to match! thanks for the pics fellas, these look awesome on our cars. Of course the only pics on here of them are from rs5 and rs8... got me drooling over those sunroofs, I'm jealous! :p

Hopefully installing mine within the next couple of days :)

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Here you go mikey boy

How much is left of the original mirror ( top black piece, bottom is my alarm thingy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.