Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup Members!! I have a 2008 XB with the 2.4L & 4 Speed Automatic transmission. If I understand correctly, the engine is the same as the one offered in the Camry of the same year. My question is, has anyone or is it even possible to swap the 5 speed automatic transmission from the 2008 Camry INTO my 2008 XB? What parts would be needed?

Thanks for indulging this newb! :D

· Registered
164 Posts
Why don't you just swap 5-speed manual scion tranny in? Wikipedia could probably tell you with relative certainty if it's using the same engine and transmission.

The biggest problem I have seen with doing a swap like that is that it may not sit in the same way and just be a "bolt-on" more or less. On the other hand I don't think that scion would manufacture a different frame for an auto and a manual so either transmission will just fit in.

After of course you pull all of that out and bolt it up and you get it dropped in right you'll probably have to switch out your lower dash for the new shifter, run all of our lines. On other cars I hear that ECU swaps are common when switching transmissions because they have to operate differently since it no longer has to worry about shifting but a lot of other just leave the old one and deal with the lights on the dash.

If you just want a manual tranny trade for one. **** i'd trade you mine if you were close enough, my wife hates a manual and i'm selling mine in March anyway. I'm in KY by the way. I would say avoid it at all costs but if you wanna swap cars then it'd be alright lol

If however your just like "I GOTTA HAVE THE CAMRY TRANSMISSION!" then why not just go for the whole lot and do the V6 too. Probably have to fabricate new mounts, WILL need the ECU, but the transmission will fit the engine, although may require even more fabrication on the back end to get your shifter right. Only normal Scion I will have seen with a V6.

As a side note I've never done an engine or tranny swap myself, maybe it's easier than I think but from the information I've been able to gather it's just not worth it.

· Registered
457 Posts
Yes you can probably bolt the 5-speed auto tranny from the Camry to the Scion's engine but you will have to swap the ECU from the Camry as well as the Scion ECU is not designed for a 5-speed auto, just the 4-speed. Probably be some other sensors or wiring that wouldneed to be changed as well. Overall not a cost effective thing to so for the added mpg you would gain from getting the extra gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.