Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really expected better than this... yesterday I had bought some USBs to test out the player...

I noticed the usb player leaves gap between the songs... which ruins the feel of the mixtapes...

second, the volume knob, when trying to change tracks/folder, is very gimmicky.... it basically ruined its only purpose... i stuck having to use the steering wheel to control the tracks....

does anyone knows a way to fix any of these probs?

thx in advance

·
Registered
152 Posts
When you press and hold the Steering wheel "UP" selector for track, it will beep and change the functionality of the actual radio controls. If it's at default setting, the ring around the volume knob on the actual radio has 4 direction buttons, which operate thusly.... up/down is folder selection, left/right is track selection. I have messed with mine similarly, and found that to be the case.

The USB input on mine is a bit finicky as well, but for the price of the car, and what I actually bought it for, this doesn't matter much, as it plays pretty well. There is a gap between tracks.... There is also a slight bauble in the audion... kind of a Skip at the very first of almost every song. I think that has more to do with the USB drive's ability than the audio system. I haven't purchased any newer high speed usb drives to test this out, as I only listen to what I record, and I allow for the "skipping" when i set up my audio tracks.... That's one way around it for now. Also, some audio MP3 editing and writing programs will allow NO space between tracks, and some will even allow SINGLE track recording as well..... Or So I've been told. I have a couple of older MP3 making programs that I haven't tried any of this on either...... Almost all are very time consuming and not at the top of my priority list.

If all you do is use iTunes or one of the windows products, the limits are program limits.

Anyway, the volume knob is a volume knob... and selector for the stuff that shows on the radio display..... It doesn't choose tracks. It will help you locate folders quickly, but tracks, as far as I have found, are function of the D-Pad around the volume knob. I rather like using the Steering wheel controls mostly.... keeps fingerprints and wear down on the radio face. Try doing the Steering wheel control Push and hold theory to see what funsctioins change, and how you might be able to use them.

Everybody has their own expectations and all, but I suspect most of the user controls are best explained by the Manual that comes with the Vehicle (Specifically the radio book). I have read and learned a lot that I won't use, and some that I've had fun with....

When I start my car, the radio displays the words "SCOTT'S XB" on the screen for a few seconds..... one of the cool things you can make it do if you read the book.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yea Scott, I put my own "start up" screen in also. Mine says " Dale's HTM '09 xB". I just hope that I never have to disconnect the battery,or I'll have to do the screen all over again.
(what a pain)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
On the base radio, I've done several opening messages, but none right now. For the very reason Dale mentioned: battery disconnect related to my driving light install. My favorites:"m&m's to power." "anchors aweigh" (heavy "pirate" themed) and "ready set and go" (race/rally theme). Need to set a new one . . .

As for the radio. The buttons are sensitive and take getting "used to" the touch. It took me a while to not mis-hit the right knob on my base 09 HU. But, now it's second nature and I don't even notice.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I did have to clean the batt. terminals a while back,so I got a 9v and plugged it into the 12v access spot and left the ign. key on accessory while I desconnected the battery terminals and cleaned them. It worked and I didn't have to redo any of the radio settings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.