Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

interested in a 2nd gen xB and i have a few questions related to highway driving.

how does the xB perform on the highway? how does it handle passing at highway speeds? what about road noise at 70-80 mph? MPGs for people who do mostly highway driving?

thanks

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
It is fine at well over 80.
I've cruised at that for well over an hour in Georgia (cruising in traffic with mixed in cops).

At 75, it gets about 30 mpg, indicated, on rolling hills. At 60, it gets well over 32 (closer to 34, if sustained and on a flat land). That is after many, many thousand miles.
I've not checked the mileage at a sustained 80.

Between 70 and 80, the mileage has a notable "drop off" from over 30 to to around 27-28 or 29 mpg, depending upon terrain.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
MPG improves as you ADD mileage.
I have 11,000 miles already.

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
I get about 30-32 mpg on the highway. It depends on the terrain and headwinds. Highest I've gotten is 32.8, but still under 5000 miles on the odometer. Power is adequate, and the stick shift gives me more control for passing. For what it is, I find the xB to be very quiet. If you're used to driving a Benz or a Lexus, you may have a different opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great comments so far, thanks.

i should probably be more specific on my questions since they are quite open ended.

i am going to use this car for a somewhat longish daily commute. my frame of reference is the average econo sedan (civic, corolla, etc.) both as far as power and road noise. i like to cruise 65-75 but sometimes need a little more for passing something that my current car (2000 mazda protege) is not really all that suited for since it's a torqueless wonder like the other cars i'm seriously consdering (the honda fit and the nissan versa).

road noise is especially important because i do most of my driving on the highway and it is really torturous to be in a noisy car for an hour each way five times a week.

i haven't test driven the xB yet but in the mean time i was hoping to get some more comments from you all

thanks again

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine was a lot quieter before we did the gauge LED's and face change...now there is some stupid rattle up there that I can't seem to locate.

Mine is an automatic so perhaps that is why the gas mileage isn't as good. I use cruise control when I can...but generally get around 26mpg....

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
oifla said:
great comments so far, thanks.

i should probably be more specific on my questions since they are quite open ended.

i am going to use this car for a somewhat longish daily commute. my frame of reference is the average econo sedan (civic, corolla, etc.) both as far as power and road noise. i like to cruise 65-75 but sometimes need a little more for passing something that my current car (2000 mazda protege) is not really all that suited for since it's a torqueless wonder like the other cars i'm seriously consdering (the honda fit and the nissan versa).

road noise is especially important because i do most of my driving on the highway and it is really torturous to be in a noisy car for an hour each way five times a week.

i haven't test driven the xB yet but in the mean time i was hoping to get some more comments from you all

thanks again
Compared to a typical "econo-car," mileage won't likely be quite as good, as the box is a fairly large vehicle with a large front and a decent size mill (old word for motor). 
It has LOTS of power to accelerate when at 70-80.  If you have a manual, just downshift to 4th.  If an auto, use the shift-tronic, or whatever Toyota calls it, to shift to 3rd and stomp it if it doesn't accelerate fast enough for you on its own.
As for noise, I find it to be rather quiet.  Of course, I am "used to" a top-down convertible and a rather crappy American sedan.  It's louder than a BMW, but not bad at all for it's price range.

Oh, and I have an auto too and use cruise on the interstate.  I have a bit of a "lead foot" and use the cruise to keep to a certain speed and not to go too much faster.
My "cruising" RPM at 80 has dropped from 3,300 PRM to around 3,000 RPM over the first 10,000 miles.  So, the increase in mileage is to be expected.
Also, the cruise ties to keep the selected MPH and will engine break downhill and downshift (if needed) to maintain it up hill.  If you are into hyper-mileing, cruise isn't the best thing for mpg in a hilly area.

On my trip to Philly from South Carolina (to help my sister move), I reset the dash computer when I left and averaged (according to it) 31 mpg with a general cruise set to 75, which was the max speed-limiter on the truck my father was driving and I was following/leading.  That included going up 85 to 26, up the mountains, and up 81 all the way through Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland to Pennsylvania.  That is up a mountain and through a LONG mountain valley.
On the way back, we went about 80 (when I drove) and 85 (when my father drove my box-> his 3 hours) and it averaged 28-29 mpg.  Most of the traffic was going about that fast.  [I went a tad slower, as I don't "like" driving much above 5 over speed limit, 10 MAX.  At times, I was being passed quite a bit at 10 over!]
BOTH ways included gas, food, and "pit-stops" at the restroom.
That was WITH an auto and cruise control.

For what you seem to be interested in, the xB should be WONDERFUL!
-- Plus, it is a freaking Tardus! (Larger on the inside that it looks on the outside)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
AvonLadyJenn said:
Mine was a lot quieter before we did the gauge LED's and face change...now there is some stupid rattle up there that I can't seem to locate.

Mine is an automatic so perhaps that is why the gas mileage isn't as good.  I use cruise control when I can...but generally get around 26mpg....
Overall, I average between 26 and 27 mpg, depending on what type of mixed driving I do.

That is more related to this thread:
http://newscionxb.com/2nd_gen_scion_xb_talk/ok_what_is_your_mpg_with_the_2008_xb-t65.0.html

The one you are PRESENTLY reading is more focused upon highway performance, which depends on speed with the mpg decreasing as speed increases.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I got 28 MPG at a constant 80mph on the way to vegas. Around town I am getting 24mpg. That dropped down from 26 since the new spoiler. All of this is round town driving. I am putting the old wheels back on soon and I am hoping that helps a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Well, writing from the perspective on one who spent 37 straight hours driving/riding in an xB (twice, no less) I can say that it's a very nice ride. There is some road noise, but mostly it depends on how well (or badly) the road you're on is paved.eviljack's xB was a little loud on heavy acceleration (because of the CAI and Borla exhaust) but that quieted right down after engine load was reduced. If you plan on sleeping, though, I'd bring a pillow :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I do straight freeway driving I usually get 31-33mpg (manually, 33 to 35 indicated) in summer months. Once winter rolls around it drops a bit.

Passing is no issue at all. Just floor it and it moves!

I hit 85 today and it was very stable at the wheel. Road noise isn't bad but really depends on the road surface.

·
Registered
94 Posts
eviljack said:
I got 28 MPG at a constant 80mph on the way to vegas. Around town I am getting 24mpg. That dropped down from 26 since the new spoiler. All of this is round town driving. I am putting the old wheels back on soon and I am hoping that helps a bit.
I noticed mine seemed to drop after adding the spoiler as well. :yucky:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The road noise for the XB2 is minimal. It's hardly noticeable in my 08. I've taken 3 trips from New York to Tennessee and it was nice and quiet.

I flirt with 30 on overall mileage. Given, I don't do much city driving, and I'm easy on the manual tranny, it deffinitely gets better after you break her in. My mileage dipped 2-3 mpg when I added in my sound system though. :x

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
First road trip started with around 1,000 on the odo. Got home it was over 3,000. This was from north central Texas to the northeastern corner of Tennessee. Had a fabulous trip. Did the 980 miles in 17 hours, only stopped three times for fuel, and we were able to sleep comfortably in the front seat. We averaged 28 mpg which is great for the first highway miles. I drive one mile to work and back, about four miles a day, so this was its first outing. I have stock 16" with original tires and didn't notice that highway noise was that great, but since music is more important to me, I am planning on spraying the underbody with silicone before I put on my underglows to help reduce that noise. All in all, this is one great little car. According to most of the rating groups, including the latest raves from Motor Trend, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hellen you are hardly broke in ...Wait till you get a few more miles oh and use only syn. oil or a blend it all adds up and yes oils do make a differance.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just got back from a road trip in my 2009 with Manual Transmission Got 30.2 on the highway averaging 75-80 MPH and 26.4 around town. I was pleased that even at highway speeds when I wanted to pass it was no problem. Peppy car. Was playing CD's, but didn't notice any "loudness" in road noise at highway speeds.

·
Registered
474 Posts
gr8scape said:
Just got back from a road trip in my 2009 with Manual Transmission Got 30.2 on the highway averaging 75-80 MPH and 26.4 around town. I was pleased that even at highway speeds when I wanted to pass it was no problem. Peppy car. Was playing CD's, but didn't notice any "loudness" in road noise at highway speeds.
I also have a manual transmission...have not had a long enough trip to give any highway mpg figures...was your mpg figure based on the computer or was it calculated manually?
My mpg in town by the computer is averages 25.7 by the computer, but about 1.0 mpg less when I figure it manually. Keep in mind that that is stop an go (fast) just to hear the roar!

Brewski

·
Registered
739 Posts
Calculations were done manually.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.