Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the xB2 a truck?

In a recent conversation I was in, there was the question as to whether or not the xB qualified as a truck.
I've said before that the xB is a Corolla truck, but is that accurate?
I don't mean a pickup, but more along the lines of deliveries, panels, and 1/4 tonne vans.

Is it a truck?

I want your opinions.

· Registered
266 Posts
My insurance decided is was a 'Scion xB Familliale" so I guess it's more like a mini-van :S

· Registered
457 Posts
It is a station wagon according to the DMV here. I tend to agree seeing as it is based on the corolla platform. If you look at the Matrix most people would call it a 5-ddor hatch or station wagon and the xB is pretty much the same vehicle squared off and with a larger engine.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The Gen 2 2.4L Matrix is pretty much identical mechanically.
I/We have discussed this before ("What is it"), but I was wondering what others on here would think of "truck" with all the pros and cons of the term.

My perspective isn't "normal," as I read WAY too much British stuff- esp. in reference to 1940s-60s vehicles. As Brits use and understand "truck" and "van" a bit different than in the US (and the term "estate"/"Station wagon"), I fall somewhere between.
By some definitions, the xBs are VERY much a truck, bit by other definitions you'd get a strong "****, No" by many folks. A "pick-up" it is not! A (old-school POV) 1/4-1/3 ton/tonne combi/dual-use passenger van it very much is. Boxy 1/4-1/3 ton combi-style vehicles USED to be seen as "truck," but modern understanding is a bit more . . . vague . . . and opinionated.
I see NO problem with "truck," even if not a pick-up or 1/2 ton. I could name a number of "trucks" that are smaller and carry less weight than the xB and/or operate near identically. Most are older ones that only sold in the US in small numbers if at all. (Aussie members, think Morris, Austin, Hillman, Commer, Standard, and the like. I LOVE those old things!)

I know some on here are very much interested in "trucks" and I was wondering what WE thing in this regard regarding a vehicle we actually have and appreciate.

The xB really doesn't "fit" any mold of the last 20-30 years, esp. in the US market.
In perspective of Toyota's E-line . . .
--The Corolla is the E line, ours is the AZ (Engine) E (model)- 151 (generation) N/L/Whatever (version of that bodystyle/mechanicals)
I see the Corolla as the "normal" sedan lines, the Matrix as a hatchback, and the xB as something odd-> a Hatchback truck/delivery/station-wagon/cross-over-?

Mine has several listings legally. I don't argue. It's a "compact sedan," "SUV truck," "station wagon," and I forgot what else I've seen. i say "call it whatever is cheapest in fees and taxes" . . .

· Registered
266 Posts
In my humble opinion, I think the best way to describe our xBs is "Urban Utility Vehicle"
An uncommon mix of Hatchback, SUV, minivan and truck.

· Registered
152 Posts
I stand by Mini-Van after seeing the rearend of so many chrysler Mini-Vans and thinking "What's wrong with that xB?"...

It's definitely not a truck, not enough cargo space to exact a Delivery van status. but I often find myself calling it an SUV as well. I had 2 2012 models until yesterday, now i only have the one. Traded in mine for a New 2014 Tacoma. I traded my Ranger Pickup in for the xB and have constantly been needing a truck ever since. Now I have one, and still my wife's xB is a Winner. Is there a category for "Awesome People Mover"? That'd be where the xB falls. I was using mine for a truck with the back seats down and flat for almost 6 months before I decided a "real" truck was a better option. Just couldn't figure out how to get 4x8 sheets of Sheetrock in the back of the xB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.